Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Speed Cut in Half

TR1PL3D
Grafter

FTTC Speed Cut in Half

Morning all,
My speed has been cut in half. Tested speed at around 11pm last night and all was good at 71mbps down and around 17mbps up. Latency around 14ms.
Then got an email from one of my virtual servers to inform me of a degradation of line speed.
Did another speed test and noted that I am now seeing around 31mbps down. Upstream and latency are not affected.

I have noticed a drop in the downstream SNR from around 10 dB to 6dB.
BT Wholesale speed test records an IP Profile of 33 and also informs me that the speed test shows issues with the line.
Nothing has changed on the line that I am aware of, currently running an unlocked HG612 on an Huawei cab. G.INP is enabled.
Can somebody investigate and find out whats happening please.
Just for reference, I have a Zen FTTC circuit here that comes into the building on the same drop wire, and it is not affected at all.
Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: FTTC Speed Cut in Half

Hi TR1PL3D,
I've just performed some diagnostic checks which have identified a fault (an impaired copper joint)
If you can report this formally over at http://faults.plus.net please and we'll get this sorted with our suppliers.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
TR1PL3D
Grafter

Hi Adam,
Thanks for that. Just connected a phone to that line and the noise is terrible, its used solely for internet and never has a phone connected to it. So it seems as if there is a fault somewhere.
I have reported the fault via the link you provided.
Thanks
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Cheers,
I performed some tests against the line itself assuming there may be noise present but those passed.
As the tests relevant to ADSL picked it up we'll deal with it from that angle for you.
Hope to see that fixed soon!
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
TR1PL3D
Grafter

Been a few days now and I have heard nothing of any use from anyone!
Just told to check my equipment and do the usual stuff. I did all of that before even thinking about a fault with the line.
The line is becoming worse as the days go on and I am not happy.
Think I will move this line over to Zen as I have never experienced issues such as these with them!
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Our testing is finding a issue with the broadband side of things but our phone testing isn't finding a issue.
I'm raising it as a broadband fault for you now.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
TR1PL3D
Grafter

Well, thanks, but heres the thing.
I used this really technically advanced tester called a telephone. Simply pressed the green button and then observed the amount of noise, crackling, humming etc etc. The noise on the line is very apparent.
Not only that. But I use DSLStats to monitor my HG612 and the SNR on the downstream hovers around 6 dB. Was at around 10 dB before the noise attacked.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Unfortunately if our suppliers tests don't find a issue with the phone line our support staff will always ask if the checks have been done.
A engineer should be assigned to your fault in the next 48 to 72 working hours.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team