cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Rollout forecast - roughly realistic or cloud cockoo land?

SamP
Grafter

FTTC Rollout forecast - roughly realistic or cloud cockoo land?

I managed to find a list which showed my exchange (SWTAJ) as scheduled to be upgraded to FTTC by March 2015.
From past experience I know that these sorts of forecasts are about as much use as a chocolate teapot, but can anyone give me any hints?
Are they generally running to this schedule allbeit a few months behind, or is the whole thing nonsense?
Incidentally I do recognise that, just because they may upgrade the exchange, my cabinet may not be affected.
7 REPLIES 7
catelliott
Grafter

Re: FTTC Rollout forecast - roughly realistic or cloud cockoo land?

Hi SamP,
Generally these dates are best estimates, so it's best not to take them as a guarantee, as they are always subject to change.
As you've said also, just because they're upgrading the exchange, doesn't mean your cabinet will be upgraded.
Sorry that this information is all slightly ambiguous, fingers crossed for the upgrade though Smiley
anniesboy
Rising Star

Its not just the exchange upgrade, its the cabinet .
My cabinet was upgraded 18 months after the exchange.
I hope you don't have such a wait.
jrilton
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

My estimates keep getting put back. i think they started at March last year now it's September 2015. The cabinet was installed around May last year and the exchange went live around August. I do keep checking roadworks.org to see if BT are doing any were, which they are right now.
I've also seen people post that their cabinet goes live before the dates BT give. So I'm not convinced the dates are reliable at all.
AndyH
Grafter

It's tricky to manage the dates because there are so many potential scenarios that can delay a cabinet. An example would be a blockage when feeding the fibre cable - in some areas, it can take months to get council permission to dig up and clear the blockage if it's on a busy road or requires a road to be closed.
PaulHeywood
Dabbler

My exchange was due to be upgraded Q4 2014.  The cabinet was expected to be ready for service by 31 Dec 2014.  Around the end of Dec a new bigger cabinet appeared on the opposite side of the road.
It was then forecast that FTTC services would be available by June 2015.
By regularly checking the BT ADSL checker I suddenly found that FTTC services were listed on Thurs 12 Feb.  It had just been ADSL on the previous weekend and the Mon/Tues.  I found I could go online as a plusnet customer and order fibre services without any problems.  The engineer is due to visit today.
So in my experience the estimate is not bad - I was hoping to be able to order in the six months post 31 Dec and could actually order about 6 weeks later to be hopefully set up at 8 week.  Fingers crossed!
SamP
Grafter

Thanks to everyone who replied. 
I never expected the BT timetable to be set in stone and it's useful to hear of other people's practical experience.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

This is the BT Broadband Availability Checker you can use periodically to see what's available at your cabinet. Obviously keep a check to see when the exchange itself is active for FTTC and keep an eye open for Openreach activity and new Cabs appearing Wink