cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Performance issue?

ruebe70

FTTC Performance issue?

Hi there,
my PN fttc connection is now up and running since about 2 weeks. The estimates on my line were at around 28Mbps which is not great for fttc but still twice my dsl bandwidth. However, i never get more than 20Mbps. Is this the "normal" bandwidth which would be expected? The BT engineer was not too happy because he couldn't connect the modem to the first socket. He still connected it because the first socket is not in use. The line comes into the house, into the first socket on 1st floor and from there downstairs to the 2nd where the modem is. It is about 8 meters between 1st and 2nd socket.
From which point is it my responsibility? From where the line enters the house or from the BT Open reach socket?  Could I just remove the 1st socket completely or bypass it?
Thanks a lot
4 REPLIES 4
sjptd
Grafter

Re: FTTC Performance issue?

Sounds like a curious install at best, and could easily be causing problems.  Was it a 'real' BT engineer or a contractor such as Kelly or Quinn?
It depends a lot on how the sockets are wired together, the quality of the cable between them, which is wired as the master socket, and whether he put a proper filtered faceplate or left it to use old-style separate filters (more or less like the old ADSL filters).  It is certainly Openreach responsibility up to the first socket.  If you posted a few photos of the sockets and wiring it could help.  There are others on the forum who can answer better, or you might do better to post on Thinkbroadband. 
I wouldn't touch anything until you have had more advice, and if you do remember there may be 50 volts on some wires.
Estragon
Rising Star

Does the first socket have a removable faceplate, i.e. the bottom half could be removed by taking out two screws?  In fact, does the second one have that as well? Did the engineer replace anything or add anything at either?
As sjptd requested, a couple of photos would be useful.
Are there any more extensions in the house?
ruebe70

Quote from: Estragon
Does the first socket have a removable faceplate, i.e. the bottom half could be removed by taking out two screws?  In fact, does the second one have that as well? Did the engineer replace anything or add anything at either?
As sjptd requested, a couple of photos would be useful.
Are there any more extensions in the house?

From the first socket the whole front plate with the phone connectors can be removed. The engineer had a quick look and i think it is just linked to the cable that goes downstairs to the 2nd socket. This one has been replaced with an openreach socket with a connector for the phone and one for the modem. There are other extensions in the house but i think they are disconnected. I guess i can't just cut the wires if they are still connected?
Quote from: sjptd
Sounds like a curious install at best, and could easily be causing problems.  Was it a 'real' BT engineer or a contractor such as Kelly or Quinn?
It depends a lot on how the sockets are wired together, the quality of the cable between them, which is wired as the master socket, and whether he put a proper filtered faceplate or left it to use old-style separate filters (more or less like the old ADSL filters).  It is certainly Openreach responsibility up to the first socket.  If you posted a few photos of the sockets and wiring it could help.  There are others on the forum who can answer better, or you might do better to post on Thinkbroadband. 
I wouldn't touch anything until you have had more advice, and if you do remember there may be 50 volts on some wires.

It was an openreach van and the engineer was a young nepalese guy who sounded quite professional. Not sure about the contractors but he looked like a BT guy to me.
I am going on holidays in a few days so i'm not sure if i can squeeze the photos in before i go.
Wouldn't bypassing the first socket fix the problem? The cable from the telephone pole comes to the house on first floor and runs along the outside until it reaches the point where the first socket is. The cable goes through the wall into the socket and back out again. From there it goes down to where the 2nd socket is. Bypassing this first socket would also eliminate the possibility that other sockets in the house could still be connected.
Would a BT engineer do that free of charge or is it my problem to deal with?
Estragon
Rising Star

From the way you describe it you must not touch any of the incoming wiring to the first socket, or from there to the second socket.  It sounds at the moment as though the BT<>you demarcation point is the second socket.
Once we have the photos, and please include ones of the inside of the first socket and the back of the second removable faceplate. Remove that faceplate carefully as it should have at least one pair of wires attached.
Do not cut any wires or change anything until we advise on the photos. You could (a) completely wreck your connection, and (b) incur a bill for well over £100 to fix it.
Enjoy your holiday :).