Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC - PPP disconnects

Gaz3000
Grafter

FTTC - PPP disconnects

Hi all,
I am having an ongoing issue, over the last 3 days my router stays synced to the exchange but my PPP session drops out for 5-25 minutes at a time.
Would somebody do a copper test for me, and give me a connection timeline so I can see my disconnects as I am not home to monitor.
Quick rundown on my line:
FTTC
6Mb down 0.4mb up
VERY LONG..D side back to the cabinet.
attenuation up is 50, down is 38 usually.
SNR 6.9 up and 6 down.
Using a TPLINK TD-W9980 VDSL router (no BTO modem)
Before moving to fibre I struggled for months with poor stability, on the whole binning the E side copper has made a big difference but this week has been HELL.
My pings tend to go all over the place a few minutes before a DC, and when I drop i get a HUGE download spike. Like HUUGE - 3GBps sort of huge - this used to happen on my own ASUS adsl router too when I had issues so I know its not my router misreading info.
I have put a ticket in and will await a call, but i felt I needed to use all channels of support  Wink

Thanks,
Gareth
3 REPLIES 3
richardhulbert

Re: FTTC - PPP disconnects

I am seeing a this issue - as well - it seems worse 4pm onwards - I have the same router as you can see the results of the test i did today at 10am http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4906101347 - 55.66Mb/s down and 17.56Mb/s up. There has been some talk on here about how BT have made some changes that have made PPP unstable.
R
Gaz3000
Grafter

Where are you from Richard? I'm from Yeovil. If that is the case it would have to be a pretty widespread issue.
My line is notoriously bad, almost a half mile round trip back to my cabinet! If only they installed the copper with the future in mind, oh BT, I guess coat hangers were cheaper eh?
MelRocks
Grafter

Hi there,
@Gaz3000 and @richardhulbert
I have checked both of your accounts and other than the odd drop, they both seem pretty stable, can you confirm if you are both using wireless or wired connections? Thanks.