cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Out of Sync - only way to reset is intrusive test. Anyone seen this before?

dvavasour

FTTC Out of Sync - only way to reset is intrusive test. Anyone seen this before?

Been having failures since last year, and now down again. Symptoms are:

a) Router pops up the flashing red light

b) Router reset won't clear the session: even after leaving it powered off overnight

c) When PN staff run a line test it immediately springs back into action

d) When up and running, connection is close to line maximum (37Mb/s)

So BTOR have been out and done a premises check, finding a nice clean line. They've pointed their finger at the router, but that makes no sense as a router reset doesn't clear the out-of-sync, while an intrusive test always does. Sounds to me more like a port/linecard getting its knickers in a twist and needing to be kicked back into re-establishing sync.

Has anyone seen this before, and how was it finally fixed? I'm currently offline again, had to get a 3G mobile hotspot as a stopgap, and would like to get it resolved. Is this a common type of problem with FTTC?

4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: FTTC Out of Sync - only way to reset is intrusive test. Anyone seen this before?

Can you try another router, perhaps borrow one or extract one from Plusnet for the P&P cost to try to eliminate that as the cause?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

dvavasour

Re: FTTC Out of Sync - only way to reset is intrusive test. Anyone seen this before?

We could, but the fact that the out-of-sync clears immediately with an intrusive line test (without a router reboot), and it doesn't clear after leaving the router powered off overnight does strongly suggest it's the exchange/cabinet end.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just suggesting a way of breaking the impasse by probably disproving the argument that it's a router problem. Unless you try you can't be certain.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @dvavasour

Did you make any further progress on this since your last post?

Happy to review the updates on your account if the issue is still ongoing, just need a PM with your username.

Thanks,

Dave