Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC IP Profile

Griff7520
Grafter

FTTC IP Profile

Hi all

Can anyone tell me if plusnet still use ip profiles for people on fttc. A guy on support said to me on the phone tonight that ip profiles are not used any more. But last week a different person on support told me she had had my ip profile reset due to me having problems with slower download/upload speeds.

I do not know who to believe, I have had a constant speed on my plusnet service for 3 years but just recently the speed has dropped, when I enquired about it plusnet said it was not anything to do with them and had not changed anything from there end. Having run diagnostics on btwholesale website I saw my ip profile had changed, I know this because I check it regularly.

so my question is if plusnet have not changed it then who has, having said that different people on support say they do and they don't use ip profiles for peoples lines

thanks for any info on this

14 REPLIES 14
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: FTTC IP Profile

I suspect that the problem is that, as I understand it, there are two profiles. There is a BT one that you see if you do a BTw speedtest and a Plusnet one. I believe that there is also a Plusnet one only has any effect these days it you are on a fixed IP address. I think that the BTw one gets set to a percentage of your sync speed.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there.

All broadband lines (either ADSL or FTTC) have an IP profile.

It should sit just below the sync rate, which I see is 54.9mbps. and you're on the right banding for your package too: "Profile Name: 0.128M-55M Downstream 6dB, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off"

This is the most you can achieve without upgrading your package to 80/20.

What speeds are you seeing on a speed test when you go to www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Griff7520
Grafter

the reason I have asked the question is because since day 1 of being on fttc with plusnet my ip profile has been 53+ and I have got 51+ downloads and 8.5 to 9 uploads. but that has changed and now I am below 49 downloads and down to 7 uploads. There has been nothing changed on my end so I raised a question asking online support why my speed has been dropped. I have been given 2 different answers on the phone and now a different answer from you. I am not disputing I have a good download speed but I recently renewed my contract mainly because of the reliable and constant speeds I have been able to get on my line.

It seemed to me that my speed had been dropped by plusnet but no one wants to admit that this is a the case. At the end of the day I am paying for 55 max and expect to get close to that as I have done since day 1 as I said earlier. I have been told I am well within the speeds that plusnet say I should get but the fact remains I am not getting the speeds I usually get. If there is no fault then surely a reset of my ip profile to the 53 +  it was before should solve the issue. I was told bu one person that that had been done for me and then a week later when I phoned again to say it had not changed I was told it was not possible to change the ip profile because you do not use ip profiles any more. Sorry for the long reply but I am struggling to understand who is telling me the true facts.

Griff7520
Grafter

just to add...my download is around 47mbs......with a burst to 49....I have allways had 51 plus downloads everyday no matter what time of day. I am pretty sure plusnet have capped my speeds without telling me. Is this the case?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

There's nothing capping your speeds as shown from the testing below.

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID BBEU00000000

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 54.9 Mbps
Upstream Speed 10.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 333.7
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-55M Downstream 6dB, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2018-11-07T07:45:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 55.0 Mbps 55.0 Mbps 55.0 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 9.9 Mbps 9.9 Mbps 9.9 Mbps
Up Time 68.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 898.4 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2018-11-20T07:10:12Z 2018-11-20T07:25:12Z
Ingress Code Violation 1 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

As your line is on the correct banding of 55/10 for the provisioned product of 55/10, you wouldn't benefit from a DLM reset.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Griff7520
Grafter

thanks for your replys Gandalf. So are we saying there is a fault somewhere as for the time I have had fttc I hav e had a constant download speed but now I am up to 5 meg less on my speed, there must be an issue somewhere...it does not suddenly change because it wants to does it?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The speeds you're getting are on target.

When you're running a speed test are you using a wired or wireless connection? 

Also are you running the BTwholesale one or a 3rd party one?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Griff7520
Grafter

All ways wired, my speeds are tested on several different sites including btw and are very consistent.

Nothing has changed on my end, everything is the same ie router , openreach box, distance to master etc etc, tried different ports on router, different cables, disconnected all other computers tv's etc etc.. I just don't know how my speed can change and go downwards when nothing has changed your end and nothing has changed my end....the speeds are very consistant so how can there be a fault, surely if there was a fault the speeds would be up and down, that is why I thought plusnet had done something to slow my connection , the ip profile shown on btw does show 4 meg less than it was before. Any sugestions?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I personally don't think there's a fault, because your speeds are on target and our tests aren't finding any issues.

If you've been using the BTwholesale speedtester I'd recommend against it for now as it's not always reliable.
Can you run a test at www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest via a wired connection with no other devices using the bandwidth?
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Griff7520
Grafter

I used this test yesterday as requested, here are the results, still down on usual speed, something is slowing me down...it can not just change after 3 years for nothing can it.

Speed Test History

Date/Time Avg Down Avg Up Provider  
20-11-2018 09:24:01 (GMT) 48.7 Mbps 8.8 Mbps Plusnet view result
19-11-2018 17:06:51 (GMT) 47.6 Mbps 8.9 Mbps Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Unfortunately there's not much we can do, because any fault report we raise to our suppliers would ultimately result in a request to book an engineer visit, which likely isn't a good idea as your speeds are still within expectations.

It's normal to see your throughput around 5mbps or so below your sync rate.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Griff7520
Grafter

normal is 5mbs faster for my line and set up....After 8 years of loyalty to plusnet I am afraid it wont be happening again. I will see my contract out and look elsewhere.

thanks for you time and help.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

The sad fact is that as the use of broadband increases and more users come online the crosstalk between individual consumers' telephone cable pair in the multi core cable between your premises local junction box and the street cabinet increases. This results in reduced speed. My sync rate has dropped by 10% over time. Until our homes are connected via fibre it's probably going to get worse.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sorry that you feel this way @Griff7520

Unfortunately it is normal to see throughput around 5mbps below your sync speed though I appreciate your throughput was higher in the past. As it's still within expectations there's really not much we can do.

In addition there's nothing our side capping your speeds as your connection profile on your account is set at 54800kbps. Furthermore, due to the way your service routes across our network, this profile won't have any affect on your speeds.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet