cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Download speed slower since upload speed upgrade

n1ghtwish

FTTC Download speed slower since upload speed upgrade

I recently received a communication to say that my 40/2 FTTC connection was getting an upgrade to 40/10.

Sounded good. But since that change was rolled out my download bandwidth is now only 3.5MB/sec instead of the normal 4.4MB/sec I get.

How can I get back to my previous download speed?

5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: FTTC Download speed slower since upload speed upgrade

Probably the best thing you can do is nothing. The upgrade will have reset the line and probably set the SNR to 6dB. Leave it alone for say a week to see if the DLM automatically winds the SNR down and the speed back up.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Nelson22111805

Same problem. "Good News from Plusnet - Your Fibre Just got Faster" note received. In reality, Upload speed the same, download speed reduced. We are in a rural location, so speeds are slow anyway, but the recent improvement has resulted in download dropping from a little over 5.5 to 4.5 and upload remaining the same, at 1.03. Can I cut my payments by the same %?

n1ghtwish

My connection hasn't sorted itself out still, and I remain on a slower than usual speed.

Are there any guidelines from PN on how long it should take for my line to work out that it can go quicker? I would rather just go back to 40/2 if 40/10 causes slower downloads, I don't really upload anything so had no issue with the 2mbps upload speed I was using.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

You've probably lost g.inp or the xdB rollout on your line, they will come back in time.
n1ghtwish

Yes I realise that may be the problem, but I have no indication how long that may take to kick in?

I have been on the slower speed for around a week now, it's not the end of the world but it's around 20-25% slower than it used to be, and I'd really like the missing speed back.