Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC DLM Profile

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Re: FTTC DLM Profile

Sadly, I gave up monitoring stats late last year. Apart from TBB speedtests, BQM. As I found out from Plusnet long ago, they have no say in resetting DLM (have to get an 'engineer' out (how quaint)), they have no real direct access to it. So unless you go below 80% of what you are suppose to get, Plusnet (and presumably most other ISP's) will do nothing as no fault exists. As for the comment 'does it make any more sense for the end user........' No, but once it was the job of modems to negotiate the sync speed, now there is a 3rd party (DLM) in the mix. Just have to wait a few months for DLM to get its act together. And yes, my view, very quick to apply the cap, very slow to reset.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Why do people assume that every single disconnection and every change in speed must be the work of the DLM? There will be instances where the ability to reset the DLM would be useful, but there would probably also be a lot of people wasting everyone's time by demanding a reset every time their speed goes down even though actually, it was nothing to do with the DLM.

ccarmock
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I don't see it mentioned here that people think DLM is the only issue.   Clearly there are a whole set of reasons why DLM would even intervene.  The issue is that DLM is super quick to intervene and suppress speed, but super slow to increase it when the fault is resolved.    There are no rules in place to prevent DLM acting too fast, but plenty of rules in place to prevent you doing anything about it once the fault or issue has been resolved.

In this day and age it is ridiculous that the ISP cannot initiate a DLM reset. 

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Well I got the impression that @idonno thinks all their speed changes are the work of the DLM, and if it were reset, they'd get their 78Mb back.

If there is some good reason for ISPs not being allowed to do FTTC DLM resets, then I can't really think what it might be.