cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC DLM Profile

mdovey

FTTC DLM Profile

What stability profile for FTTC DLM does PlusNet provision accounts on?

I thought I had read somewhere that it was the "Speed" profile.

My connectionis currently banded to 67Mbps since last year, I was typically getting a MTBE of about 300s (which according to kitz is the green threshold for Speed - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/DLM.htm) so I had expected this to increase but assumed I was just below threshold.

However, at the beginning of January, I had a BT engineer work on fixing some noise on the voice line, and this seemed to improve the VDSL stats as well. I'm currently getting a MTBE of around 500-600 which should be well above the speed thresholds but as I'm still banded at 67Mbps, it looks like my line is provisioned as Standard - is this correct?

thanks

Matthew

18 REPLIES 18
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: FTTC DLM Profile

All lines are provided on the standard profile as far as I'm aware.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Is that BTWholesale Standard (which is Openreach Speed)?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

It's possible.

When I checked the stability options today, it was Standard, Stable and Super Stable.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
mdovey

My router (Fritz 7490) is currently reporting an uptime of 1 day, 8 hours, 57 minutes (I deliberately rebooted a few days ago, prior to that it had been up for about 21 days). The Error Seconds reported is 213.

I make that a MTBE of 557s

Likewise for the last month the MTBE has been around 550.

According to kitz, the DLM thresholds for green are 300s, 600s, 1200s for the three different profile options.

I would have assumed that by now, on the first of the profiles, the DLM would have increased the banding from 67 to 74 by now?

So am I on the second DLM profile, or is the DLM stuck, the Fritz box not reporting the ES properly, Ktiz's information wrong, or have I misunderstood how the DLM works?

thanks,

Matthew

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

I'll check things out for you tomorrow.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
ejs
Aspiring Hero

There isn't much public information on how many days of ILQ green or red are needed for the DLM to make changes. It seems to take between a very long time and never for banding to be removed.

mdovey

I did ask the BT engineer who worked on my phone line if he could reset the DLM but he said he was a voice line engineer not a broadband engineer so wasn't able to.

Matthew

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Thank you for your PM @mdovey

I've checked your account, you appear to be provisioned on the Standard profile with our suppliers.

I've gone a step further and tested your broadband. I'm seeing your router in sync at 66.9 Mbps, and the circuit is banded at 67 Mbps which seems to be capping the sync.

As this is within just within/on the border of your estimate between 66.9 and 80 we wouldn't be able to arrange an engineer to investigate the fault I'm afraid.

DLM will remove the banding in due course as it sees fit.

mdovey

Thanks - I take it that is BTWholesale Standard\Openreach Speed.

Of course, the BT estimate updated itself about the same time as the banding was applied!

Matthew

kitz
Aspiring Pro

>> Thanks - I take it that is BTWholesale Standard\Openreach Speed.

Correct

>> the circuit is banded at 67 Mbps which seems to be capping the sync.

We are seeing lots of accounts that appear to be banded and stuck.
Whilst the info about how the profiles are applied and MBTE is correct, what we dont know is how DLM reverses it once the account has been banded.
It seems to reverse Interleave/INP/G.INP as appropriate, but banding seems to leave people stuck like this for many many months without ever relenting.

ccarmock
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I have the same for a remote property that is not always occupied - PlusNet can't do anything as their suppliers (part of the same company!) have a rule that says they can't.

Technically of course it's possible it's just that BT have archaic processes and won't budge or use common sense.

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Couldn't agree more. It does seem strange that a company can connect people at X speed and then say that is the best we can supply with no say from the user. DLM knows best. Why is it not possible to reset the system remotely. This is, after all, the 21st century. Sending an engineer out to do such work is so 70's. I should be able to rest such things myself. After all, being modern it is all computerised???!Or maybe OR are still in the dark ages.

Last year I turned off the power to the modem (had no choice really) and found that on boot up I'd gone from 78mb/s (which it had been at for months) to whatever it was (I seem to recall it was less than 68mb/s). Over the following months it stayed the same and then suddenly one day it re-synced at 77mb/s. That lasted a week. It then went back down to 64.4mb. No point getting in touch with anyone because as they like to say, it's within the range set by Openreach.

I have no doubt whatsoever that my line IS capable of connecting at 78Mb, IF it was allowed to. Currently I am short changed by Openreach. Maybe time this situation was tested through the Courts - crowdfunding seems popular lately.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
ejs
Aspiring Hero

@idonno

Do you have access to and have been monitoring your DSL stats? If not, how could you possibly know what the line is currently capable of? Not every single change in speed will be due to the DLM. Your changes in speed could quite possibly have been due to generally increasing levels of crosstalk, but occasionally one or more people may switch their modem off for a while.

Does it make any more sense for the end user to decide what speed is acceptable for their line, and then demand Openreach run around at the end-user's instruction?

ccarmock
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Very true -but we do know DLM is very 'trigger happy' when it comes to reducing speed, but very slow when it comes to increasing it or removing banding.     Banding could get slammed in due to a transient condition on the line and then take months to remove, if ever automatically.   This would be an ideal case for a remote DLM reset.

It was possible with ADSL so why not VDSL?