Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Confusion after home move

c0dec
Grafter

FTTC Confusion after home move

Morning,
I've recently moved into a property that previously had BT Infinity, however upon checking my new phone number its showing that it isn't available, although if I do an address check it does show it as available... also looking on the BT Wholesale checker it shows my number as connected directly to my exchange rather than through a cabinet which I can only assume might be causing the issues. Obviously the problem I have is I cannot order FTTC due to this issue with the checker although I know for a fact I can get FTTC in my property, I even saw the BT FTTC hardware in use when I went to originally viewed the house!
Has anyone come across this before?
For the time being Plusnet have ordered ADSL, which is fine, however obviously I would rather proceed with an FTTC order being as I can get actually it! Smiley
Cheers,
Dan
20 REPLIES 20
LukeS
Grafter

Re: FTTC Confusion after home move

Hi Dan,
Could you possibly PM me your username. This is something I've come across a few times before but each situation is unique.
LukeS
Grafter

Hi Dan,
I'm pretty sure this is just a capacity issue, according to my checks, the cabinet will be accepting orders again on 05-Nov-14. It's possible this date could be pushed back but I would contact us as soon as you know it's available and we'll upgrade for you.
https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html
c0dec
Grafter

Cheers Luke.
The only thing that threw me was the BT Wholesale checker stating that I wasn't connected to a cabinet!
Cheers,
Dan
LukeS
Grafter

I'm hoping this is just a records issue. Can I ask how you know there was BT Infinity there previously?
c0dec
Grafter

Luke,
When I originally viewed the house I saw the BT Openreach modem plugged in and in use, also my master socket is the newer "split" type with the microfilter built into the top half.
Have you done an address search as this does show its available.
Kind regards,
Dan
LukeS
Grafter

Yeah I did the address search and found that it was available. I'm a little concerned but I think it's worth checking again once your broadband has been installed.
c0dec
Grafter

Morning Luke,
I now have a working ADSL line at my property.
However upon checking the BT Wholesale ADSL checker this morning it still shows as no FTTC available at my property using my phone number as a lookup, however checking my address it does show it as available. I also noted that the checker is showing me being connected directly to the exchange rather than through a street cabinet, could this be the reason FTTC isn't showing as available? I know FTTC services are available at my property as the previous owners had BT Infinity installed and even left their BT Openeach FTTC modem!
Cheers,
Dan
AndyT
Grafter

Hi Dan, thanks for the update.
I've checked against your telephone number again today and Fibre is still not being shown as available.  It can take a couple of days for the records to update following an install however, so I would advise checking this link again over the next few days to see if there is any change.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Doesn't the checker normally show something different if the cabinet is fibre enable but there is no spare capacity?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
c0dec
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Doesn't the checker normally show something different if the cabinet is fibre enable but there is no spare capacity?

This is what I thought as well.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Did you take your number with you when you moved?
c0dec
Grafter

Nope.
BT Wholesale still showing ADSL only and that im directly connected to the exchange to and not through a cab, weird one!
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I wonder if it is because some BT records have not been set up and that direct connection to the exchange can actually mean "we haven't got a cab number for you"?
c0dec
Grafter

Sounds feasible.
As per my earlier posts if I lookup on my address it does show as available so its very frustrating, not sure how Plusnet can get BT to sort out their records though!