cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Cabinet with less speed that others?

FIXED
hst125scorton1
Grafter

FTTC Cabinet with less speed that others?

Hi,

I've been wondering for a long time how my cabinet (44) has never been given 80/20, I've done a recent check on all the cabinets in my surrounding areas and I have found that from research Cabinets 40 to 62 all have 80/60 Mb/s Download with 18/20Mb/s Upload and FTTP on Demand 330Mb/s Down and 30Mb/s Upload except my cabient (44) which has poxy max of 31Mb/s Down and 7/9Mb/s Upload with recent addition of FTTP on Demand 330Mb/s Down and 30Mb/s Upload.

Of course it isn't PlusNet's fault here but merely OpenReach and BT who have seem to have left it out when upgrading all the others? My upload is 2Mb/s is a damn pain to upload anything big, I was thinking of going to upgrade my package to the 80/20 so I could at least enjoy a little fast upload speed but I think it's pretty pointless. The recent engineer I had to solve my fault a couple weeks ago claimed that it was due to be upgraded but never happened.., now I would like to know what is going on here I've been waiting for a lot faster speeds since I got fibre back in 2013 (TalkTalk) before jumping to PlusNet from (2015).. It seems very unfair that around approx 600 houses in this one cabinet (44) has to suffer 30 odd, yet the one around the corner has 80/20. Yes its a just a little closer but not that closer to the exchange. 

19 REPLIES 19
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: FTTC Cabinet with less speed that others?

Distance to the exchange is irrelevant to FTTC, the determining factor on the speed you receive is your distance to the cabinet.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

It's nothing to do with the cabinet itself. They all support 80/20.

The speed any particular line can get largely depends on the length of the line from the house to the cabinet, the longer the line, the slower the speed.

It's Plusnet's decision to offer 40/2 rather than 40/10.

mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

All cabinets are capable of providing 80/20 connections. What determines line speed is the length and quality of the copper connection from your house to the street cabinet. It sounds like you live quite a distance from the cabinet or your line is affected by crosstalk or noise. For example my line is 900m from the cabinet and can only achieve 34 meg sync.

If you post your router stats here we may be able to have a guess at what's going on.
hst125scorton1
Grafter

I do understand the further away the slow it can be, My Exchange to my Cabinet 44 is around 2.1 Miles and then a further 750-850m from Cabinet to my house. My Max Speed at the moment is 26.1Mb/s Download and 1.9Mb/s Upload, I use my own router with the white OpenReach Modem.

The Cabinet around the corner is dead 2miles away from the Exchange and gets 80/20.., Cabinet 44, 31Mb/s with 7-9Mb/s Upload.

hst125scorton1
Grafter

Forgot to mention, would it be wise for me to upgrade my package to the 80/20, even though my Download will be the same but to up my upload from 2 to 7-9Mb/s?

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Which Exchange are you on?

Brian

hst125scorton1
Grafter

In the Cleveleys Exchange, LCCLV. Cabinet 44.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

How are you working out what speeds are available from each cabinet? As mentioned earlier in the post, every cabinet has a fibre to that cabinet, there is a really good explanation over on Kitz

hst125scorton1
Grafter

I used BT DSL Address Checker to do my research. If someone could answer my question of should I upgrade my package to 80/20 would it be beneficial?  2Mb Upload is a bore and upgrading to get 7-9Mb Upload seems a bit out.. just for a couple of Mbs

bmc
Hero

Cleveleys cabinet 44 has the following status on the CodeLook website (they also quote 516 properties passed)

"FTTC Available from 9th November 2012, some with 18/2M product"

The distance from the cabinet to the exchange does not matter. Your cabinet will be "paired" with a fibre cabinet. It is supplied by fibre optic cable.

If you post a screen image of what the DSL checker says for your phone number then we might be able to offer advice on whether or not to upgrade.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Brian

hst125scorton1
Grafter

Here is my screenshot of what the DSL Checker says I'm in Range A (Clean) according to the engineer and GEA Tests.

bmc
Hero

Given the upload estimates for Range A of 22.4 - 31 it appears you're either a long way from the cabinet or the line quality is poor.

As for upgrading, only you can decide. It appears you'd get between  4.9 and 6.9 on your upload.

Brian

hst125scorton1
Grafter

Possibly no point in upgrading just for the sake of 4-5Mb/s, I'm approx 868m from my Cabinet from my last engineer visit I had. Just this morning literally 10mins ago (11:40) a chap was inside both FTTC and 44 Cabinets so I just had a little question to ask him about speeds, he was dealing with a issue with a property in the same area around the corner from my street with slow speeds. He showed me inside the FTTC (Some high tech stuff) and he went the state of the cabinet, its surprising anything works from it cables here there everywhere and even dead cables. He was tiding it up a little and so I asked why the speeds were so low here but not the one around the corner he just said it's the way the cables are laid and some are poor quality, he mentioned there are more call outs to this cabinet that any others in the area because of faults and issues. According to him there moving the boxes in the future with new FTTC/Phone Cabinets/Cabling/Fibre Cabling ect, sounds promising. I let him get on with his job but he checked my slot and it seems fine according to him., there are 5 houses synced at 60mb/s according to him in this cabinet..

hst125scorton1
Grafter

Could a PlusNet member do me a GEA Test please?, Also how would I go about it if I have poor line quality, how do I get changed and updated?. The phone line from the pole to my house is lower than anyone else's in the street and when it swings in the breeze, wind, gales I'm most certain it touches my neighbours house on the roof, I mentioned that to an OpenReach engineer but he didn't seem to care!!!..