Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC 18x2 pricing/availability

Cameleon
Dabbler

FTTC 18x2 pricing/availability

Hi all,

Does PN support 'FTTC 18x2' and subsequent adjustment to pricing? I see my cabinet that I currently have FTTC from has it as available and my understanding is for customers on sub 10Mbps - which I am - we should be able to get discounted rates for our BB. I am loathed to pay the full rate, but have really been duped into it by PN because I don't have any alternative, but if PN doesn't offer 18x2 but other ISPs do in my area (no idea on this yet), I'm guessing I'd be in a good position to get out of the contract I have to move to an alternative who did support it. 

Hope PN do support it and will be willing to reduce my payments accordingly Smiley

4 REPLIES 4
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: FTTC 18x2 pricing/availability

I think 18/2 FTTC has very little availability, only under a trial on certain cabinets for people with ADSL speeds under 10Mb.

Also, I don't think someone else offering something different or cheaper would be grounds for you to leave your contract without paying all the early termination fees. You'd only be able to get out of your contract if Plusnet aren't meeting their end of the contract, which would be if your speed were below the minimum guaranteed speed for your line and you've given Plusnet the opportunity to fix it but they can't.

Cameleon
Dabbler

Well thats the conundrum. My ADSL speeds would be under 10Mbps if I'd taken ADSL - upto 5.5 according to the tracker - and my FTTC is slightly quicker but I went for it because the uploads on ADSL are rubbish so was pretty much forced (unless I took satellite BB or similar) to take FTTC to get anything near a decent connection and be able to remotely back up things like photos in anything resembling acceptable time.

BT are clearly admitting that the pricing structure is wrong that someone like me show is on effectively an ADSL++ like connection is having to pay the same as someone who enjoys 40/10 connection when I get 8/1, and they're rolling out the acceptance for 18/2 to more cabs Sad I would like to think PN would at least try to push BT Wholesale to move customers who are eligible and on existing connections to the cheaper tariff. I can't see PN will have taken out a 2yr contract with BT for the connection. They must surely have enough clout with them to be able to juggle it, if not then PN are falling in my estimations from the days when I trialled FTTC at my old house and they left us on legacy pricing as a thank you. No such luck in this move as I'm out of a high competition area and moved off FTTC to ADSL2 and now back on FTTC so couldn't keep my old legacy pricing which I would more than accept now. 

I'm actually very tempted by an EE 4G offering next time when my contract comes up for renewal. I would be be able to get 30Mbps on that and a decent allocation of usage which would probably be better than paying best part of £40/mo for line rental and BB when I only get an 8/1 connection. Sit on that and wait and see what this universal obligation malarkey comes to. And wait and see if anyone else starts offering 18/2 more widely and move to them if the position doesn't improve. 

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

What makes you think Plusnet's prices have much to do with any wholesale prices?

https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/Fibre-Broadband-and-Market-A-1-Exchanges/td-p/1404954

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

fwiw, a recent article regarding 18/2mb trial to be extended, again....

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/03/bt-openreach-extends-18mbps-fttc-broadband-trial-slow-a...

Sky are the only major ISP to have participated in the original trial but they seem to have gone very quiet on the subject since the new year.  Last year, I thought I read posted in these forums that BT And Plusnet have no interest in offering 18/2 FTTC.

I read Ofcom is proposing to impose new wholesale price controls for the existing 40/10 FTTC product

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7678-low-prices-for-fttc-to-encourage-more-roll-out-of-full-fibre...

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-