cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTP upload speed throttling/management??

tension83
Grafter

FTP upload speed throttling/management??

Embarrassed
I have an FTP server in my house, everything is connected using Ethernet cables.  The upload speeds I get are frankly useless.  It doesn't matter who's house I am at, the speeds are stupidly poor.
Is my connection being throttled?  I have been with Plusnet because I didn't think they did this nonsense.  I had this problem before, but it has returned now that I have moved house, could that be a factor? The router is syncing at nearly 70/20 and the line looks good to me.
Please help!!
19 REPLIES 19
sjptd
Grafter

Re: FTP upload speed throttling/management??

Run the speedtest at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html and post the upload results.  That is the most reliable at report real upload speed.
There should not be anything slowing down FTP, but that test should narrow down if it is an FTP issue or a general upload issue.
tension83
Grafter

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1417441597554706055
As you can see, even using my mobile phone in the next room, my speed is ok.
Is something strange happening on port 21?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Are you sure the modem/router is synched at 70/20 as that isn't what the speed test is showing
Did you do that test wired and can you run the BT Speedtest - Further diagnostics
tension83
Grafter

Yes I am sure, I can tell this by logging on to the management interface of my VDSL Modem. And as I wrote in the previous post, I used my mobile phone to do the speed test from the next room.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

and that is not a great deal of use for a speed test - it needs to be using a wired connection to the router
tension83
Grafter

Seriously. What are you on about? I already told you the modem is syncing at 70/20. 
gofaster
Rising Star

But you haven't given us any idea of what upload speed you consider to be "frankly useless"
Remember that there are two ends involved in an upload (I am presuming that the data is being received at your server) what are your friends upload rates?
What speeds do you get if you upload to your server over the LAN? Maybe your server is the bottleneck
tension83
Grafter

I get between 96 and 200 KB/s at friends houses with 80/20 BT fibre.  I'm sure you'll agree I should be getting a lot more than this.  Inside the LAN I get around 20Mb/s.  I have checked my friends upload rated by logging onto their routers to check sync speeds.  I can upload at a good rate from home normally via HTTP, it only seems to be an FTP / Port 21 issue, and only over the WAN side Sad
legume
Rising Star

If 20Mb/s means 20 M bits/s then that's quite low for eth. If it's bytes which implies gig eth then it's still not that fast, but I guess that could be down to weak h/w.
Which is it?
Are you downloading when at friends house or uploading? Either way you don't know what their ISP is doing.
If possible doing a speedtest from the ftp box, specifically the old test and noting the single thread perf vs x6 if single is lower it could indicate loss (on your lan).
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/speedtest2.html
Even small loss on lan will hurt wan badly - the higher the latency the worse it will be (and latency to friend will be > latency to TBB)
tension83
Grafter

Come on. I said 20Mb/sec, not 20MB/sec.
If you care to read the thread, you will see I have already explained everything I need to.
Are there any ACTUAL technicians on here apart from me?
This is absolutely embarrassing customer service.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: tension83
Are there any ACTUAL technicians on here apart from me?

Probably, but don't expect much help from them Shocked
Quote from: tension83
This is absolutely embarrassing customer service.

Not sure where the embarrassment is in the service your are getting from customers here - it's a forum not Plusnet Customer Service.
Right, assuming the line does handle more than 10Mb/s up/down (we don't know because you haven't provided a "wired" speed test) and that HTTP transfers are much faster than FTP as you state, I would be looking to eliminate any possible local problem with the modem/router combination. Have you checked with the Openreach modem plus a router (you haven't said if you use one or something else - we are having to guess at what hardware you may have)?
If you have a separate router in use, have you tried using a different router and/or using an alternative router for PPPoE and measuring the throughput of your normal router cascaded from that?
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Well this is a customer forum and the people trying to help you (so far) are customers, not PN staff.
So, to be fair to them , if they ask you to clarify what units you're using it's not unreasonable.
A speed test from a mobile phone isn't great, but it indicates that your connection is capable of uploading at least 50% of the connection speed, which isn't that bad.
PlusNet as you presumably know does have traffic management in order to prioritise traffic over your connection. Could there be other traffic that is higher priority than the FTP server traffic but doesn't "trump" your mobile phone speed test?
Or, as asked, a bottleneck in the FTP server on its WAN interface if the LAN side seems to perform OK?
Not sure where you can go from here, but a selection of speed tests from a wired device, ideally your FTP server would be a start, then some sort of monitoring and breakdown of the total traffic over your internet link.
tension83
Grafter

Apologies for showing my frustration.  Perhaps I should explain better.  I am an ex Openreach engineer, now working as a Network Engineers for one of the biggest IT companies in the world.  I don't need to use a wildly inaccurate website to determine what speeds I'm getting, I log into my modem and simply read the information directly from it!!
As I have said before, I AM getting a sync speed of 70/20 Mb/sec.  
I need to know what is going on when I FTP on port 21 from the server in the comms room in my house to a friend's house.
The connection is fine, it looks like I am being throttled.
WWWombat
Grafter

In the various posts you've made so far, there is room for confusion.
Early on, you mention an FTP server in your house, and that when you are in someone else's house, the upload speeds are dire. In that context, the "upload" direction appears to be a put from an FTP client at your friend's house towards the FTP server in your house.
Later on, you talk about performing HTTP upload from your house ... which sounds like it is an HTTP client in the house and server outside ... so the opposite direction (and unspecified as to whether it the upload is from the computer hosting the FTP server in question, or some other computer in the house).
Finally, in the last post, you mention an act of performing FTP from the server in your house to the friends house, which sounds to me more like you are running a get from an FTP client in your house to an FTP server in their house (using the word "ftp" as a verb always suggests a download to me, not an upload), but the direction could easily be reversed.
There is probably also room for confusion about whether passive or active mode is being used.
Have you got full performance results for both puts and gets, and for instances with the client in the house and the server in the house, and for the different passive and active modes?
Notwithstanding the possibilities for confusion, I have to say that I have found implementations of FTP through router firewalls to be pretty inconsistent - especially with Netgear. It was painful enough messing with NAT and passive & active modes, and getting successful results with small files, but failures with anything larger than 1K,  that I swapped over to using ssh, sftp and scp nearly a decade ago. An awful lot easier.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.