Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTP - Over my PN Connection

markos
Grafter

FTP - Over my PN Connection

Hi,

I'm a freelance PHP developer and as such do a fair amount of FTP'ing up and down to web servers.

I've had an intermittent issue lately that I've been thrashing out with the server providers where my FTP transfers will simply hang. It might download 50mb and stop on a 3k file for a minute or two and then pick up and carry on. Or it might do 500mb and then hang for a minute on every file there after. There's no pattern to it. It can be one file, or a 1000 files in the queue. Makes no odds.

I've been a PHP developer for the last 20 years, so yes I'm well aware that servers can be busy, no I'm not on Wifi, no it's not dropping the PN connection, no it's not after 3pm when the kids get home, etc. etc.

I've tried three different FTP clients. It's not all to the same server. One server provider has gone to great lengths analysing log files their end as well as the logs from my FTP clients. We cannot see any rhyme nor reason for it.

Is there anything that my Plusnet fibre connection could possibly be doing - packet shaping, whatever, that could be causing me these FTP issues?

I'm getting 60 down and 20 up - there abouts anyway. We can stream 4K video without any issue, but upload and download a 10mb website and I could be there for an absolute age.

Cheers,

M.

8 REPLIES
Bingstroller

Re: FTP - Over my PN Connection

Hi,
I appreciate it's an older post but I am having the exact same problem.

I've spent the last few days either diagnosing or Googling and it's driving me crazy.

It's got to the stage where I am about to reinstall windows and factory reset my router to rebuild my network from scratch.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
markos
Grafter

I’m still getting the problem, it was never addressed. Drives me mad. I can download 20 files no problem and it can be just a favicon.ico and it sits there for 3 minutes 😳
Community Veteran
Fixes: 34

@markos Wow! That's a long time to have no resolution on this. Have you configured your FTP Client to use PASV mode? If I recall correctly Windows FTP.exe has never supported it but I'm sure one if not all of the clients you have tried will.

Also, do you have access to a Linux machine? If so what results do you get?

Bingstroller

It only just started to happen for me a couple of days ago, up until then I didn't have a problem. Previously every download would go through without a problem.
Three factors have changed 1. Windows update 2. FTP client update 3. I downloaded heavily.
Also I have tried passive, changed client and also tried SFTP all to no avail. (just about to try Swish to rule out 3rd party client)
Markos - Thanks for getting back to me, obviously I had hoped there was a solution that I had overlooked.
Will keep at it and update on my progress.
markos
Grafter

Thanks @Mook - yes I’ve tried PASV, along with all manner of other settings. I’ve given up, can’t reproduce at will nor can I can find any common factor with it. I’ve just accepted it now as one of those things I have to put up with. For the record I’m using CuteFTP, but I’ve tried a whole bunch of others and get the same problem - hence why I think it’s either the ISP, my firewall (NORTON Int Security) or something in Win10.

Community Veteran

@markos - I've had dealing with CuteFTP in the past and found it OK, add to that that I don't think it's Plusnet's issue either as I and many others use FTP on a daily basis without issue; it it were a Plusnet problem then this Forum would know about it.

Now Norton IS on the other hand is poison to any PC, words cannot describe the contempt I have for it (and it's ilk). As you're using Windows 10 I'll suggest that you ditch it and just run with with inbuilt Security Essentials. If you do do it several thing will happen, the first and most noticeable will be a marked response in your PC as the parasite that Norton is won't be leaching your valuable resources and your FTP may well work as it should.

But this is just my 10p's worth as an Ex Norton user.

markos
Grafter

@Mook Thanks.

I hear what you’re saying but my view of Norton is the complete reverse! It’s been my go to system protection for some time. They’ve served up a few clangers in their time Norton 360 was dire, and about 7 or 8 years ago it did indeed run like a dog with a resource hungry, memory leaking pile of guano. But they fixed it, and I like their support service too. I don’t get that comfort factor with Security Essentials. That said it’s a great product and it’s free, but there’s a concern that it’s a product that, as it’s name suggests, is just the bare essentials. I tend to think the paid for service proivders need to fight to get their dollar. Again, like you, my 10p worth!

Still don’t know about the ftp issue. MTU maybe?

Community Veteran

@markos - Each to their own of course. As for the MTU I assume you've not changed it from the default. I have a Jumbo MTU of 9K set on all of my interfaces on my LAN (set via option 26 on my DHCP server) and again I can FTP without issue. The only time I've had issue with an MTU was on a VPN when using an SSL Tunnel between two DrayTek routers. This was 'fixed' by moving to IPSec.