Did you mean: 

FRITZ!Box and BQM?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

FRITZ!Box and BQM?

Evening all,
Wondering if any of you have a FRITZ!Box and if so, whether or not you've managed to get Think Broadband's Quality Monitoring or similar working with it?
Set a 7490 up this evening and whilst it responds to ICMP, it's dropping the majority of packets which makes the monitor a bit worthless. I may be missing something obvious but I've scored the interface and can't see any settings that would cause this behaviour Huh

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

11 REPLIES 11
kevinduke
Grafter

Re: FRITZ!Box and BQM?

I have a 7490 and had to do nothing to get the BQM to work.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share-thumb/8a9fa9f43cd4939ad29ae8fe45795de3.png
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

@Bob,
you don't, by chance, have IPv6 running on the Fritz!Box do you?
On my 7390 I found major 'packet loss' showing on one of my monitors when monitoring both IPV4 and IPv6 on the original IPv6 trial.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: kevinduke
I have a 7490 and had to do nothing to get the BQM to work.

Colour me confused in which case Huh
Quote from: w23
you don't, by chance, have IPv6 running on the Fritz!Box do you?

Nope. I did see the posts pertaining to this whilst searching last night, but AFAICT I've not got IPv6 enabled. I'm not connecting via an IPv6 account, and it looks to  be disabled in the interface:

You can see what it's doing here, it's very odd:

Manually pinging/tracing to the device via a command line shows intermittent packet loss at the last hop, or a complete failure to respond.
Edit: Four hours of complete packet loss, followed by two hours of partial packet loss, rinse, repeat.
Edit again: I wonder if it's the frequency of the ICMP requests due to multiple monitors being set up? That might explain the observation when running concurrent IPv4/IPv6 monitoring too. Might try disabling all but the TBB monitor and see what happens.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

w23
Pro

Quote from: Bob
I wonder if it's the frequency of the ICMP requests due to multiple monitors being set up? That might explain the observation when running concurrent IPv4/IPv6 monitoring too. Might try disabling all but the TBB monitor and see what happens.

Definitely worth a try - very possible that the firewall rejects excessive ping requests.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Just given that a go.
It's a shame that such a fully featured box doesn't give you any control over ICMP response. Unless I'm overlooking it, there's not much in the way of firewall control/logging either Undecided

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Looks like disabling some of the probes did the trick:

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Spoke too soon (I see the previous graph was inadvertently live so won't post another). Disabling TBBQM for a while to give it a break...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Does the Fritzbox have IDS or IPS settings which can be disabled?
Alternatively is it possible to create a inbound firewall rule to allow the following IP addresses.
Those are the IP's for TBB's and F8lures ping servers.
Failing that, can the routers iptables be edited via telnet?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've seen little about telnet access, and firewall control is minimal. It's a fully featured, albeit curious device. Be interesting to see what happens tomorrow morning after re-enabling the TBB monitor...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

w23
Pro

On recent firmware, telnet is disabled and the firewall on the Fritz!Box routers is not really configurable (other than setting up port forwarding and similar).
Call me 'w23'
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

All working after giving the TBB monitor a rest overnight.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team