cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Issues / General Questions

tonyc2017

FIbre Issues / General Questions

Hi guys,

Few questions/concerns if I may about my Plusnet Fibre....

1) When ordering, I would have thought Openreach would have come round and upgraded the Master Socket (as happened in my last property).  This did not happen and instead I am having to plug my Fibre modem into an ADSL splitter (this doesn't feel right to me and I am concerned this step was missed during the provisioning process).

2) My guaranteed line speed is supposed to be 32Mbps (I have the 40Mbit package) whereas my max line downstream is showing as 24Mbps in my modem config page (I have tried the stock modem supplied and am currently using a TP Link 9980 VDSL modem/router.  This worked perfectly at my last address with Plusnet.  When I do a speed test it never peaks above 20Mbps.  What are the next steps to resolve?  Is this related to the above?

3) Lastly, this is more a moan than a question. Why, in 2017 is my upload capped at 2 Mbps?  I cant justify upgrading to the next fibre package because my line (apparently) wont go much above 40mbps.  I would happily pay a couple of quid etc to just uncap the upload but there is no option to do this in the control panel (rubbish!).  If it was made clear the upload was capped I would never have come back to Plusnet.  I feel cheated.  What are my options to resolve?  

3 REPLIES 3
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: FIbre Issues / General Questions

Hello there and welcome to the community.

1) When ordering, I would have thought Openreach would have come round and upgraded the Master Socket (as happened in my last property).  This did not happen and instead I am having to plug my Fibre modem into an ADSL splitter (this doesn't feel right to me and I am concerned this step was missed during the provisioning process).

Fibre installations have been self-install for almost 2 years. This basically means that that engineer would just complete jumpering work a the cabinet to activate the service. You shouldn't have any issues by using a microfilter.

2) My guaranteed line speed is supposed to be 32Mbps (I have the 40Mbit package) whereas my max line downstream is showing as 24Mbps in my modem config page (I have tried the stock modem supplied and am currently using a TP Link 9980 VDSL modem/router.  This worked perfectly at my last address with Plusnet.  When I do a speed test it never peaks above 20Mbps.  What are the next steps to resolve?  Is this related to the above?

I'd recommend running through the checks here and reporting the fault to us here if things don't improve.

3) Lastly, this is more a moan than a question. Why, in 2017 is my upload capped at 2 Mbps?

I'm assuming you're on the Unlimited Fibre package.

It's based on the 40/2 wholesale product we've chosen to base the package on.

I cant justify upgrading to the next fibre package because my line (apparently) wont go much above 40mbps.

It's unlikely you'll be able to upgrade to Unlimited Fibre Extra if your estimated speed is below 40mbps. Sad

I would happily pay a couple of quid etc to just uncap the upload but there is no option to do this in the control panel (rubbish!).

I'll happily pass your feedback on.

If it was made clear the upload was capped I would never have come back to Plusnet.  I feel cheated.  What are my options to resolve?

We'd have let you know during the sales signup journey. Did you create your account online or over the phone?

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
tonyc2017

OK thanks chap, noted about the Master Socket.  I will progress the troubleshooting steps and log a fault.

Would I be able to switch over to Plusnet Business Fibre without penalty?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Yep. If you call our business customer options team on 0800 013 2632 we can arrange that. They’re open 9am to 5:30pm Monday to Friday. It’s worth noting that moving from business to residential within a contract will incur an early termination charge but not res to biz. Smiley
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet