Did you mean: 

FIBRE EXTRA - Still awaiting upraded speed

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: FIBRE EXTRA - Still awaiting upraded speed

Hi @tjh1837

Thanks for the update - I'm glad the speed is improving with the new router.

I've just reset your connection profile again - could you make sure that your router is in the test socket (as per here) and keep us updated with the speeds that you're seeing via a wired connection?

Best wishes

Dave

tjh1837
Grafter

Have rebooted and then got a speed reading of 56.5 mbps.

I can let you know what happens over the next 24 hours.

l’m sorry, but I don”t understand what you mean by. Test socket. It is commected into thr Open Reach master broadbamd socket.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @tjh1837

The link I've provided in my previous response has visuals which will help you to identify the test socket within your premises.

Best wishes

Dave

tjh1837
Grafter

Had to phone PN because I lost broadband after removing face plate on socket and replacing it. Am now connected to the test socket via separate filter as instructed over phone. Speed is about 52 mbps. Why won’t it work via the broadband socket on the faceplate any more?

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @tjh1837

It's difficult to give you a definitive answer without being within your premises, but it sounds like the removal of the faceplate may have caused a loose wire or similar connection to have become unattached as part of that process.

Leaving the router connected to the test socket won't be detrimental and will in most cases provide a boost to speed - this may take 24/48 hours to happen as the line resettles.

Best wishes

Dave

tjh1837
Grafter

Things have got worse. The broadband is woking but my home phone is dead. I have tried disconnecting the router with no effect. Do I need an urgent engineer visit?

tjh1837
Grafter

Ah! Have found that phone works OK if plugged into other side of the filter fitted earlier today. But my other socket sed for phone, which is some ards away is out of action ... due to. the connection to the test socket ... see above for details.

So I need an engineer to repair the faceplate of the master socket. Can you arrange this?

tjh1837
Grafter

I have just noticed  that PN have meanwhile sent me an email, asking me to do tests hat have been done as discussed in earlier posts above. I see no purpose in repeating them. I need an engineer visit please.

PS.   I am in my 80s and somewhat frazzled by the rwists of this unending saga.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us @tjh1837 

While I'm afraid we wouldn't be able to send an engineer out to specifically replace or fix the faceplate as this would lead the appointment to be a chargeable visit as it's not the responsibility of Openreach, you should be able to use your services as normal with both your phone handset and router connected into the test socket using the microfilter.

Having said that, I've tested your line and I can see your router is getting a line speed of around 57.4mbps which is way below where we'd expect them to be of between 73.9mbps and 80mbps.

If your router is still connected into the test socket this morning, then we'd need to arrange an engineer visit to investigate this further. If you can log into your account online and reply to your support ticket https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=192510179 with your availability for an engineer to visit letting us know over here once you've done this we'll get the appointment booked in as soon as we can. Alternatively we'd be happy to call you back to book the engineer visit in, if you can advise when you'd be free for a call?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
tjh1837
Grafter

After phoning PN this morning, an Engineer Visit is now arranged for tomorrow.

For the record, the router is still connected to the test socket snd is operational (I am using it to post this message).

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sounds good Thumbs_Up

Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
tjh1837
Grafter

Engineer spent nearly 2 hours here this morning, much of it on his phone to Plusnet.  He established that the connection up to the Router is capable of 78.3 mbps download speed. But I’m “not being allowed to use it”.  After his lengthy phone call, he told me that PN are investigating why they can’t set my profile to deliver the higher speed.  He also said that Plusnet have accepted that the problem is at your end.

Presumably you will let me know the outcome of your investigations.

Regarding the master socket faulty faceplate ... he fixed that problem and my house phone is now back to normal.

I

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the update @tjh1837 

I can see following the engineer visit your router is now physically at a higher line speed of 78mbps.

We've changed the profile on our side to match this new sync rate.

Can you reboot your router letting us know how your speeds look?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
tjh1837
Grafter

Current speed is 40 mbps. Your post above implies you have made the speed higjer,  Bit it’ actually much lower.

I despair.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us.

I've double checked and there is nothing capping your speeds to 40mbps. To narrow down where the issue may lie are your devices connecting over WiFi or using a wired connection to your router?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet