cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FAO: CRT -- ECI Modem Latency Problem with G.INP

bustermissy1961
Grafter

Re: FAO: CRT -- ECI Modem Latency Problem with G.INP

people are experiencing rubbish speeds hence them posting their woes on here.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

I can categorically state I am experiencing 'rubbish' speeds. It happens in the evenings.
amcclean
Rising Star

How can we check what G.INP state our line has?
kitz
Aspiring Pro

@Matthew Wheeler
I think one thing should be made clear and that is the results of tests such as this, where the assumption is wrongly made that because there's no mention of retransmission, then the slowness isnt anything to do with G.INP.
"0.128M-80M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Interleaving On"

What is being ignored is the fact if retransmission shows in the profile then all should be working correctly, because the modem is g.inp capable. The DLM only applies ReTX to modem routers that are capable of g.inp.  
If the modem is G.INP incompatible, then the DLM falls over to applying the old style DLM so it wont ever show Retransmission in the profile.
Time and time again,  we are seeing EU's being told that its not g.inp purely based on results such as above, yet those who have persevered and bought their own modem/routers have proved otherwise.   There's several instances on this very forum where EU's have been told its not G.INP by CS reps only to find out that it is.
The point being is just because it doesnt say Retransmission in the DLM profile, it should not be taken as conclusive evidence that its not g.inp related.
For example there's one here but there are more.  
kitz
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: bustermissy1961
So how do i go about changing this ECI Modem from Openreach to a Huawei Modem.Can Plusnet arrange for one of Openreaches engineers to swap mine as i should have the Huawei Modem not this piece of [Censored].

The G.INP issue is a double-edged sword.
- We are seeing ISPs telling EU's that its not a G.INP issue because Retransmission isnt showing in the DLM profile
- We are seeing EU's jump on the bandwagon and wrongly blaming G.INP when their problem lies elsewhere.
So far  from what has been said, we haven't seen anything one way or the other to be able to conclude if your issue is g.inp related or not.
For it to be possibly G.INP related, then  _all_  of the following must be true:

gofaster
Rising Star

Quote from: plusnettony
You are on G.INP, but I'm afraid we have no access to modems other than the ECI as far as I'm aware.

Are you saying that if an engineer came to complete my unfinished installation that OR *only* have ECI modems in stock?
Are *all* new installs getting ECI modems?
I don't believe you!
AndyH
Grafter

Tony probably is referring to the modems that Plusnet can purchase/get from Openreach directly, rather than the ones that engineers carry.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The Kellys engineer for my recent installation offered me an ECI, but when pushed he found a box of Huawei modems!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
kitz
Aspiring Pro

When mine was installed the contractor only had ECI modems.   I specifically asked for a Huawei but he only had ECI's on his van.   Sad
A few months back one of the Openreach engineers on my forum confirmed that for a while they could only get ECI's from their walk in supplies.  The situation has since changed and both are now available, so its luck of the draw what your installer has on his van.    
mawdle
Dabbler

The thing is, if BT are still being supplied with the Huawei modem and engineers are being sent out with both ECI and Huawei, why should I or anybody else have to purchase a fully compatible modem (I know it's a personal choice) to fix this and get G.INP working correctly.
As this mess stands at the moment, with BT about to start a trial to try to fix / fudge this, the supplied equipment is not fully compatible and therefore, customers should at the very least, be given an option to replace the ECI for a Huawei when on a Huawei cab supplied using Kellys or BT engineers. Too simple or too expensive?
Is it not feasible that BT could get together with Plusnet and send out directly a new Huawei HG612 replacement for the ECI.
Also, what about vectoring when / if it does start nationwide, will this ECI modem work with that on a Huawei cab.
bustermissy1961
Grafter

well said.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

What will also be interesting to watch (although not relevant to Plusnet users) is what BT Retail do about all the users that they have supplied with Homehubs version 5A and not version 5B which is g.inp compatible!
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Or at least not yet G.INP compatible - if the TP-Link 9980 supports G.INP both down and up with the latest (beta) firmware, since it's based on the same chipset as the Homehub 5A, I'd expect a firmware update for the HH 5A eventually.
chrcoluk
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
The Kellys engineer for my recent installation offered me an ECI, but when pushed he found a box of Huawei modems!

so future ebay stock been reduced then Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero

You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment!