Did you mean: 

FAO: CRT -- ECI Modem Latency Problem with G.INP

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: FAO: CRT -- ECI Modem Latency Problem with G.INP

Credit where credit is (very) due.  Smiley
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
chrcoluk
Grafter

I dont know what others think but to silently put people who are paying for a service on a trial without telling them I find very wrong.
Whether or not andy is right that they have not been told only plusnet know, but if he is right I dont consider that good practice.
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: kitz
Thats exciting news and in days of old they used to like telling their customers things like that.  Im not saying send out a message to all..  but on the forums, and if any of them happened to be forum regs then they could give feedback.  They used to be far more pro-active with the beta stuff.

The trials tend to be for new products though. No doubt there will be trial forums for NGA2, if Plusnet are involved.
I know for the pilot that ISPs just get told the cabinets affected and the changes to the GEA Line Check to reflect the vectoring status. The actual impacted lines are not reported to the ISPs, purely because of the large numbers involved.
InterZoom
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: 11110_110
aaaah you have arrived then... I was going to try my ECI again this week but decided against for fear of being HUNG from a rope by the teenagers!
Glad to see you can still use your ECI after the G.INP  profile became active on your line.

Yeah, late to the party and reaping the benefit of everyone else's work!    Cool
Yup, the ECI still works. Takes longer to sync, mind you.
I'll put it back in when there's some news on a software update, I guess.

More generally:
I too would like to add a voice of sincere appreciation for all Kitz's work in shining a bright light to penetrate the fog, along with other members of her forum.
I have to say I find all the hints and speculation about what may or may not be going on behind closed doors, which tend to proliferate into every thread here like a voracious slime mould, rather less illuminating.
As a matter of regulatory expediency (and as an adjunct to this post) I think there is certainly a persuasive argument for bringing BT Openreach within the scope of the Freedom of Information Act, as a de facto monopoly and a recipient of significant public funding, but that's an entirely separate (and also entirely speculative!) discussion.
A more effective approach to this issue is probably to keep to verifiable technical facts.
And, as Kitz says, to hold PlusNet to the standard of corporate openness, user engagement and technical excellence valued by those customers who are likely to use the forum - who tend to be the kinds of people who recommend an ISP to friends and relatives who haven't themselves got a clue what sync speed or latency might be.
The fact that a significant number of (indirect) Openreach customers across the country are being "short-changed" by this technical problem but don't know it is not an argument for not bothering them with the information.
In complex societies, most people don't know most things. That's why a general expectation of integrity and honest dealing is important. It benefits us all.
You can't sell "super fast" and simultaneously take the view that any old thing is fine so long as it's usable. The sausage matters here, not just the sizzle.
---
Troubleshooting:
The Limitations of Traceroute & Ping
Latency: Connection "fast" but internet sluggish? Bufferbloat FAQ
Black Holes: Worth noting that the Plusnet Hub One router has an MTU of 1488 bytes.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: InterZoom

You can't sell "super fast" and simultaneously take the view that any old thing is fine so long as it's usable. The sausage matters here, not just the sizzle.

Well said, now how do we convince BT of that.
In fact I think that could make a good sig to show support for those sentiments.  Cheesy
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Very well put Interzoom.
kitz
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: chrcoluk
I dont know what others think but to silently put people who are paying for a service on a trial without telling them I find very wrong.

The vectoring pilot is tricky, because it will be limited to those customers who are on only certain cabs.  Therefore they cant really ask for volunteers and as it should be to the benefit of the customer, then I have no issue with that.
I dont know the exact specs for the trial, but I would have thought that the "100+ customers" will actually be the total number of Plusnet customers who are on the 100 cabs which are newly vectored.
Because of the way vectoring works and the fact that it is designed to work best when _all_ customers on that cab/line card have vectoring enabled, then you cant really give the customer any choice. It will purely be down to location.
Quote from: AndyH
The trials tend to be for new products though.

Naw, they used to be for all sorts of new technologies.  Things that I can recall off the top of my head are Multi-casting, RIN network (using the same type of backhaul as BTretail customers ie non-L2TP), the BT wifi hotspot thingy (cant recall the exact name now) - Ive been a trialist all of those and also trialled different Ellacoya profiles.  
There's also stuff like IPv6 and the MaxDSL trials (wasn't able to do that because of my location), new platforms, new CCGI, there will be a load more things, I just cant recall right now, some which they brought into use and some they didn't.  
No doubt there will be trial forums for NGA2

You've confused me by saying NGA2 trial. Don't know much about NGA2, but isnt that about location & architecture and access to a new type of "local loop".

Unless I've misunderstood (possibly) isnt NGA2 about where and how BT decide to deploy a new WDM-PON network in the "local area".  
BT currently currently use a lot of WDM on their backhaul, but by bringing WDM it into the local area they can deploy more services over a single fibre optic cable.. and then split it into various services (ie FTTP/FTTdP/Wireless access etc).
The use of WDM gives more bandwidth and hence makes it cheaper to run a long length of fibre because you get more capacity for your money, and you're not restricted by distance like you are with multi-mode fibre. Using technology this way they can/could even 'do away' with some of the small local exchanges if they wanted because it has a far greater reach... and I should think they'd certainly be looking at using WDM access if they were going to go down the FTTdP/g.fast route.  They'd need some sort of new 'NGA' or the likes of Sky & TT etc wouldn't be too chuffed either.    
In very simplistic terms an AWDM (Access Wave Division Multiplexor) is kind of the fibre equivalent of DSLAMs (Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexors) only they split light into different colour wavelengths, rather than frequencies on copper.
Apologies if I have misunderstood what you meant re "NGA2 trials"

----
edit to fix quote tag
AndyH
Grafter

NGA2 or NGA2.0 is what BT are referring to their next stage of fibre deployment, deeper into the network and offering faster/better services. It's referenced in a few places (their DCMS consultation response and some financial reports I believe).
As for the trials - I think on the products offered via BTw/OR, they need to be wide-scale trials for there to be sub-forums on here. The chances are that no one that uses these forums will be on the vectoring pilot, so it wouldn't make much sense to have a sub-forum on here. It may be the case that Plusnet contact the end users concerned, I just don't know.
There are also lots of small trials going on all the time, again though - we're talking a very small number of people that would be affected and I imagine there are also NDAs for some of these trials. I understand that some people like to know what's going on, but quite often it's not feasible to let people know for a variety of reasons.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Is it not the case that some BT trials are "can we deploy this without anyone noticing"?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
chrcoluk
Grafter

kitz They could have approached it like this, contact the customer and say something like.
"Dear XXX, we are launching a trial of a technology enhancement to the service in your area, please let us know if we are ok to proceed and during the trial we will waive your monthly subscription fees as a thank you, if you require further information about this trial we will be happy to give you the details and you can contact our trial team on XXXXXXXXX, Regards Plusnet"
kitz
Aspiring Pro

NGA2 or NGA2.0 is what BT are referring to their next stage of fibre deployment, deeper into the network and offering faster/better services. It's referenced in a few places (their DCMS consultation response and some financial reports I believe).

The reason why you confused me with "NGA2 trial", is because NGA2 isnt a consumer product - Its part of the  network for which BT give access.
I could not see any reason why PN customers [or Plusnet]  would be testing an access product when they use wholesale services.
Its OFCOM that regulates the access network to ensure that SMPs allow CPs access to their network.  Its not specific to BT and can also include the likes of KCOM and Virgin who also have an amount of SMP.  Nor is it specfic to the UK = - link OFCOM consultation
There's currently 2 main types of broadband access available from BT for CPs for their consumers. 
CGA = Current Generation Access.  Which is access for adsl2+ (eg LLU)
NGA = Next Generation Access. Fibre access (eg GEA-FTTC/FTTP - VULA)
Theres only the likes of TT and Sky who purchase access.... and now we have
NGA2= Next Generation Access 2. Possibly FTTdp/g.fast?
I have no idea what access NGA2 refers to, but possibly FTTdp or wifi access.  I dont have access to the broadband forum to even see a network design for NGA2.  I did come across an old diagram from 2012, but tbh that doesnt really tell us much and it doesnt really look that much different to the existing NGA.    Ive seen some NGA2 stuff for other countries and it seems to be more about convergence and higher speeds.    Its possible that NGA2 could be a gateway to open up access to the poles (dPs), but in the whole it seems to be more about deployment of WDM to increase speeds for products.  There was talk at one time about opening up the cabs for NGA but that seems to have all gone quiet now.  Im not aware of any other country yet opening up their DPs
btw FSAN = Full Service Access Network

The chances are that no one that uses these forums will be on the vectoring pilot, so it wouldn't make much sense to have a sub-forum on here. It may be the case that Plusnet contact the end users concerned, I just don't know.

I didnt mean open up a sub-forum.  A thread with notification would be sufficient,  they used to announce stuff like that either on here/TBB or via PUG.  I agree that there wont be enough people to warrant it, it may get an odd one.
I imagine there are also NDAs for some of these trials.

Aside from PUG - who used to get told and involved a lot and the NDA was more to cover sensitive network equipment or future plans rather than trials... there havent ever been any NDA's for trials that Ive been aware of.  lol I think they lost all of the PUG NDA's anyhow when they moved from Terry St Cheesy

But back on track.  My main concern was and still is the lack of feedback from Plusnet for something that is affecting a fair chunk of their users. - IE G.INP
kitz
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: chrcoluk
kitz They could have approached it like this, contact the customer and say something like.
"Dear XXX, we are launching a trial of a technology enhancement to the service in your area, please let us know if we are ok to proceed and during the trial we will waive your monthly subscription fees as a thank you, if you require further information about this trial we will be happy to give you the details and you can contact our trial team on XXXXXXXXX, Regards Plusnet"

They could.  but they wont  Grin
It would mean they are out of pocket.  Their billing system is (or used to be) awful and it can still be a nightmare to get refunds and it would involve additional work.
Posting a simple statement though in the forums or to SS would take 10 mins.
chrcoluk
Grafter

even BT retail have a trial team, and thats a more mass market isp.
AndyH
Grafter

@ kitz - You are reading too much into things. In 2009/10, BT announced their NGA commercial programme (the deployment of FTTC/P). NGA2 or 2.0 will just be the next stage of this moving into the future (new products/faster speeds).
Vectoring isn't a new product trial, it's just an enhancement of an existing service. OR are not looking for end user feedback, as all the data they need comes from their remote monitoring.
chrcoluk
Grafter

andy you miss the point, its disrespectful to paying customers to not bother telling them they entering a trial.