cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely slow fibre

rizzlaking

Extremely slow fibre

Hi
Fibre is extremely slow this morning just run a speed test 0.5mb download 1.75 upload,
Normally I get about 55 download 22 upload
Could somebody please look into this feel like I'm back in the stone age
Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Extremely slow fibre

You might want to raise a fault ticket and run through the procedures as Staff don't always man the forums at weekends.
Also check you have a dialtone, dial 17070 and check for noise on the line. You can also try turning off the BT modem (do a disconnect through the router first) for a couple of minutes then power back on.
ericgripp
Grafter

Looks like a network issue, doesn't matter which gateway I go (currently bng02) this is the worst ive seen for an 80meg down and 20up connection
rizzlaking

Thanks for the reply guys
I did a reset seems there is some improvement now getting 25mb down and 17up
I also checked the ringtone I do have one but does sound like some static on the line in quiet mode but I wouldn't know if that is normal or not?
I think I will monitor it and come back tomorrow, can't face wasting a Sunday sat on the phone listening to greensleeves just for customer services to direct me to this forum  Roll_eyes
picbits
Rising Star

Try the quiet line test - dial 17070 and use the option for the quiet line test.
You need to use a corded phone (around a fiver from Argos) as many cordless phones will have an inherent amount of hiss.
If you get any noise on your line (hiss / crackles etc) then you may need to speak to your telephone provider and raise a fault against your service.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@rizzlaking
Check which Gateway you are on and then do a gateway hop. assuming you have the TG582n, if you want to Gateway hop, log in to your modem/router and go to the Internet Box as shown here and click Disconnect. This drops the PPP session to the ISP. Wait about 30 seconds and then Click Connect. Then post the new Gateway and a new speed test.
@ericgripp
That ping time is horrible!
I assume there's nothing maxing out the connection going on in the background?
ericgripp
Grafter

@anotherone
So I went out and came back and this is the latest
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4366074548
Regards your question, nope literally just booted a machine up, ran a speedtest then shutdown again. I tested them one at a time to make sure nothing was running in the background. Just going to gatehop onto a non BNG gateway, as the BNG always rob me of about 4 meg throughput for some reason. Tried bringing it up on the forums in the past but PlusNet didn't want to know about BNG limiting throughput.
edit - before I do gatehop currently im connected to -
Which gateway
You are currently connected to gateway ptw-bng02.
This is located in Telehouse West.
ericgripp
Grafter

@anotherone
As an update now im back on a non bng gateway the latest speedtest is as follows
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4370835853
(note how being on a non BNG gives me the 3 meg throughput back, I did try and raise this on the forums in the past but got screamed at by certain members that it wasn't an issue or I was making it up, but I see this every time, and as a result have to gateway hop hoping I end up on a non bng gateway, and it seems every bng gives the same reduced throughput. I can only assume its an issue from my exchange to the nearest backhaul point ? I don't know but currently im on ptw-ag04)
And here's the speedtest from BT wholesale
http://i.imgur.com/ZxIRUIF.jpg
But what I don't understand is why does the btw speedtest give a profile that's lower than what the line syncs at ?
http://i.imgur.com/jTL834G.jpg
Im still not convinced that the system that allocates profiles based on sync speeds works correctly. Surely my profile should be 80.00 Mbps ? bleah tbh I get fed up of having to monitor the line every day now. If its not bng gateways giving reduced throughput its incorrect ip profiles. Starting to get fed up with being with plusnet now. I just want a connection that works and I don't have to run speedtests every day to see if there's a local issue/exchange issue/plusnet capacity issue.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi Eric.
The IP Profile is always less than the sync speed.this is because the IP Profile represents the theoretical maximum Data rate that can be sent to you. In simple terms, Data is sent in chunks called Packets. Each Packet has to contain information about where the data is from, where it's going and other processing overheads. Rather than me re-iterate what's published (in various places), for a fairly detailed technical explanation have a read about ~ Data Packets.
On 20CN, the profiles are in bands, each band has a range of sync speeds. On 21CN the Profile is 88.2% of the sync speed.
Now on FTTC the profile used to be ~96.8% of sync speed, so yours would seem to be correct. From observation, the % has changed fractionally with the introduction of G.INP where it's operative (note this is not connected with the issue related to ECI modems).
HTH.
As far as the achieved download speed goes, you aren't the first to have posted seeing a speed difference with Gateways. You may also experience slightly different pings with several different gateways. In the past, differences were more marked then appears these days.
It's always best to do comparative speed tests within minutes of one another, rather than on different days unless the tests are repeated at the same off-peak times over several days. This obviates the argument that your data rate was dependant on the amount of other traffic on the route.
PS. you can attach images as jpg's or png's to a post (links to upload sites can disappear with time which means historical reading may lose information. Links to speed test results on speedtest.net & tbb are fine though) As far as the BT Speedtest is concerned you could do a Copy and Paste of the result, no need to post a graphic image.