cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely high amount of fec errors on downstream

redkrptonite

Extremely high amount of fec errors on downstream

Hi guys. Im getting extremely high fec errors at over 2000 a second on the downstream. Ive had 3 different modem/routers and they all have the same high fec error rate. I currently have a zyxel 1312. IM still getting High sync rates but i was able to get upto 95 doiwnload max attainable but this has now dropped to 76. its been like this this for the past year now. Could there be a fault with my line? Many thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Re: Extremely high amount of fec errors on downstream

A FEC error rate of 2000 is not extremely high. My line runs at 3000 most of the time.
My work colleagues line often runs at 30000!
They are caused by running at the lower 3dB signal to noise ratio. My modem appears to quite happily tolerate a few thousand FECs without any obvious issue.
Richard
redkrptonite

Ok thanks your response. I’m no expert I was only wondering what the cause was and if it could affect my download speed. I couldn’t find much information on fec errors. It just seemed odd seeing 2000 errors a second.
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Welcome to the forum @redkrptonite,

I can confirm that @RichardB is correct in that a FEC error rate of 2000 is fairly standard and doesn't indicate that there's an issue with the connection. Checking your connection from this side isn't picking up any issues either.

Please don't hesitate to get back in touch if you have any further queries.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Some info on xDSL errors can be found at:

https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats_errors.htm

The fundamentals of error correction are these and for ADSL and VDSL.