Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extension from "master socket"

FIXED
hst125scorton1
Grafter

Extension from "master socket"

Not sure where to put this post but it's mainly to do with my fibre connection.

I'm looking to have a new extension installed from the Master Socket (Downstairs Hallway) to my back bedroom (Where my Modem/Router/PC boxes live). Basically I'm having some work done soon where my current extension is up on the stairs and it will need to be removed therefore loosing my connection. Is it possible for Openreach (Who last installed the extension for my fibre) to come out and install a new black cabled extension from master socket back outside along the wall to the back bedroom where everything is? Black cable as it the one used from the telegraph pole to the house. I've got around a month before the house gets some work done so would need to have it done before hand.

Any ideas how much it would possibly cost?

9 REPLIES 9
keft
Dabbler

Re: Extension from "master socket"

About 10 years ago I had an extension added to my master socket for about £125. There was sevices i.e. moving master sockets and adding extensions on the bt website back in the day. Have you given plusnet a call to see if they offer anything similar?

Also The openreach engineer that re done my drop cable at my new place did use black copper cable, but I believe for internal work they may use something else.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

I'm not sure that Openreach have a price to install an extension, they have one to re-site the Master but it's about £130!.

Assuming that your current extension is wired to the removeable faceplate of the Master socket then you can move it yourself.  Plenty of places to get the correct cable e.g http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50M-BLACK-CW1308-2-PAIR-4-CORE-EXTERNAL-OUTDOOR-BT-TELEPHONE-WIRE-CABLE-LE... or even complete kits with socket, cable clips etc e.g http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIY-Telephone-Broadband-Extension-Kit-CW1308-External-Telephone-Cable-25-m...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Fix

Just a couple of thoughts.

You don't need to have BT do the job on the extension, many local competent installers will do it cheaper!  Just be careful they use the correct cable!

Edit:  See @MisterW  response above

If you do get BT to do the job, you might consider requesting that they re-route the cable from the pole to make the socket in the bedroom the Master and the one in the Hall as the extension.  This will make it much easier to go through the initial diagnostic checks should you ever get problems with the connection.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

hst125scorton1
Grafter

Thank you all for the replies. I'm not that technical to install an extension myself. I'll would prefer to get BT to do it and have it re-routed from the Pole to a new master socket in the back bedroom which seems the best idea. I can run extensions for phones at a later date. So how would I got about requesting the re-route?

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

You could try the BT Chatline and tell them what you need.

Chat link on the lower part of the page.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

When I had my phone installed, they said we had to have an engineer visit - changed the master socket, and charged us around £20 I think. Ok not an amount to get too upset about.

I knew personally, the person who lived here before and I am sure there were no problems with the old one. She used to ring my family often enough so I think we would have noticed!

Oh well, still seems a bit suspect.

southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Just my 2 pennith but don't waste your money having Openreach come out to do it as they'll probably contract the job out to a 3rd party. They did with me when I paid for my master socket to be moved anyhow. I had to pay someone else to fix what they did too. So you're probably better off with reputable local workman.
hst125scorton1
Grafter

Thanks again for replies. I have gone onto OpenReach and placed an order to move/relocate the equipment which will take appox 5 day to 2 weeks for a reply. As I've mentioned I would prefer Openreach to come and do the job as I have no clue when it comes to phonelines and hate for anything to go wrong if I made an error. I don't know of any local workman that could do it. Bare in mind I have noticed that my phoneline is lower than anyone else is the street off the pole which is odd as it looks like its touching the property across from us.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there,

Let us know if you need any assistance from us on here.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet