cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extending WiFi signal using a second router ?

gazza27

Extending WiFi signal using a second router ?

I have fibre broadband using a plusnet hub 1 router and want to extend the wifi signal to other remote parts of the house. I have an Ethernet connection from the hub to my PC and would like if possible to use a second router connected to this Ethernet cable to give a wifi signal in that part of the house. I have a Sagecom 2704N PlusNet router available or an older Thomson gateway router.

Is the Hub 1 suitable to use for this purpose and can I use either the Sagecom or Thomson as a repeater router ? If so how do I go about it ? 

7 REPLIES 7
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Extending WiFi signal using a second router ?

The following link shows how to configure the Technicolor router as a remote wireless access point.

IIRC the Hub one uses a gateway IP of 192.168.1.254, if that's right the IP settings in the link will be ok for use with the Hub One.

http://npr.me.uk/together.html

gazza27

Thanks for this. I think the problem may be that I can't login to the older routers to change settings etc - presumably because I am on fibre broadband and I think they may need to be connected to the phone line via a suitable modem.

etdsaunders
Pro
Fixes: 7

To login to the older routers as they'll of course use the same IP as the hub one you'll need to make sure your using ethernet to connect to secondary router and turn off any wireless access to the hub one so it don't get confused
Raspberry Pi enthusiast!
If you Like it, give it a Thumbs_Up
gazza27

That's fine but the old routers won't work because I do not have a separate modem (the plusnet hub has a built in modem).

I think that I will either need to buy a new router that has a built in modem or alternatively buy a separate modem ?

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Woah there. You can't use 2 modems on the same line.

To setup the router you should connect to it using an ethernet cable and follow the instructions in the link provided by @npr.
gazza27

Forgive me if I am being thick but I thought that to change the settings on my old router I need to disconnect my hub router and connect the old router to the phone line and connect from the router to my PC via Ethernet cable - is this correct ?  If so my problem is that I cannot connect the old router to broadband because I do not then have a modem (it is part of the hub router !!). That is why I suggested that I may have to buy a modem  -  literally just to enable me to change the router settings, but NOT to leave it connected long term.

I can see that a second router with built in modem would not be a good idea.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Forgive me if I am being thick but I thought that to change the settings on my old router I need to disconnect my hub router and connect the old router to the phone line and connect from the router to my PC via Ethernet cable - is this correct ?

No, there's no need to connect it to the phone line, just connect your PC to the router and you'll be able to configure it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.