Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extended power cuts

Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Extended power cuts

Over the last few weeks my daughters house has been undergoing some renovation, including shoddy DIY electrics, now finished and NECIEC certificate issued. This has meant that there have been quite a few 2 to 4 hour 'power off' times but this doesn't seem to have reduced her 40/10 service.

Over the next 3 weeks it's going to happen again, but longer, as the kitchen and bathroom are being gutted and renovated as it's tiling on plasterboard.

Will BT be OK still with what is likely to be days without power and therefore no Fibre connection for maybe anything from 24 to 48 hours at a time ?

Let's be careful out there !
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Extended power cuts

It's not going to bother nor care @Kremmen the only time it would get upset if the connections were dropping in rapid succession.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Kremmen 

I agree with @Anonymous  however you do need to switch off cleanly. At the least I would switch off the hub using the hub's own on/off switch before the mains is switched off.

If it were me I would go into the hub settings and disconnect the dsl using the disconnect field before switching off. This ensures that the DLM does not detect a dropped line. If you do this remember that when you reconnect you need to go back in to the settings  and select connect. 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Kremmen
Aspiring Pro

Thanks both

I have no access to the hub (it's now 30 miles away) and the power is now in the hands of the builders as they disconnect and reconnect at will.

Hopefully they won't care, as posted.

Thanks again

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kremmen, can we assume there is no one living at the property while the renovations take place? If this is the case then I'd physically disconnect / remove the router until it was time to move back in.

I for one, wouldn't leave the service running to prevent the builders from spending all day reading the 'Sun Online' or other such things.

Kremmen
Aspiring Pro

Yes, the house is in the hands of the builders.

We are reluctant to cut the router as I have a security camera running that let's us check if anyone unauthorised is in the property via a motion detection system.

I'll go down the route that BT won't pick up on lengthy, multi hour or possibly multi day power cuts and reduce the speed.

If they do I'll request a reset when they've finished, early January.

Thanks all