cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experiencing packet loss? Disconnections? Please read

Slobcat1337
Grafter

Experiencing packet loss? Disconnections? Please read

The only way we're going to get plusnet to take this seriously is if we expose how bad their service actually is. This last two weeks have been a nightmare and as of yet they still haven't officially acknowledged that there's even an issue.

I propose we write a letter to watchdog (who have recently done an expose on poor ISP's) with evidence of the ridiculous ping spikes, 20-50% packet loss and constant disconnections.
Please can everyone who has been affected post a short description of their experience (with evidence if possible) over the past fortnight, and I will include it in the letter. If anything it may incentivise plusnet to allow us to end our contracts early and switch provider.
5 REPLIES 5
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Experiencing packet loss? Disconnections? Please read

Over the last month my security cameras have been disconnecting during peak times quite regularly. For the 2 years I've owned them they've been quite good.

After a call to the camera company they assured me their end was OK.

As a test I've setup a ping test with ThinkBroadBand and for the first few days it was OK but since 16:00 on Sunday my packet loss has been constant.

Something is going on:

My Broadband Ping - PlusNetMonitor

Is there a way to reset my connection without totally resetting everything?

Let's be careful out there !
168bill
Grafter

"Is there a way to reset my connection without totally resetting everything?"

It depends on the modem/router that you are using and what it offers.

I use an ASUS DSL-AC68U and that allows you to go into the WAN settings and disable then re-enable the WAN without dropping either WiFi or DSL. That in turns forces a gateway re-connection, which usually results in connection to a different gateway. 

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

How to do what @168bill suggests on a PlusNet Hub One:-

From the Hub's home page click disconnect then click connect.

Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

@168bill wrote:

"Is there a way to reset my connection without totally resetting everything?"

It depends on the modem/router that you are using and what it offers.

I use an ASUS DSL-AC68U and that allows you to go into the WAN settings and disable then re-enable the WAN without dropping either WiFi or DSL. That in turns forces a gateway re-connection, which usually results in connection to a different gateway. 

Ah ha. I've got the RT-AC68U. I'm dubious now because I powered down both my modem and router simultameously earlier today (the 2 red bands) but when re powered, 3 mins then 10 mins, it gave me the same ip and the same packet loss. It seems to have a memory somewhere.

I still have good speeds albeit with random disconnections here and there, I'll have to sit it out and wait for a proper outage and reconnect.

Let's be careful out there !
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Slobcat1337 wrote:
This last two weeks have been a nightmare and as of yet they still haven't officially acknowledged that there's even an issue.

We've a thread open on our service status feed now and we're working hard to get to bottom of the problem.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵