cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experiencing extremely low broadband speeds

Ravic8

Experiencing extremely low broadband speeds

Hi everyone,

I wasn't originally planning on making this post as I have already applied for a troubleshoot ticket few days ago however, I was just curious and eager to find out if anyone has any ideas or suggestions as to what could be going on with my internet whilst I wait for any type of reply. 

I recently moved into a new flat and had ordered the Unlimited Fibre Extra package with Plusnet, it was quite nice timing because my internet had went live this Monday, only two days after I had moved in. Having spent the morning setting everything up i was fairly confused as the very first thing I did was a speedtest. The speedtest showed that my download speed was was only reaching around 4-4.5Mbps with the upload also being unusually low ranging from 1.5-2Mbps. Out of the dozen or so broadband packages which had been ordered throughout my life this was the first time experiencing anything like it. 

I am aware that for the first week or two the speeds can be somewhat fluctuant as everything is being set up however, it just doesn't sit with me right that they would be this low. My estimated download ranges say they are between 31-45Mbps, with a minimum of 27.3Mbps. The speeds have never been this low for me, even when I had moved into new accommodations before. 

The tests were conducted on a desktop computer using a wired connection. The only other device that is usually connected (apart from when I'm specifically doing tests) is my mobile phone, I own nothing else. Since I hadn't used my computer for a few days I did make sure all of the updates were suspended and any programs that use even the slightest bandwidth, including my anti-virus, were shut down/suspended. 

Throughout the morning I tried testing stuff out by replacing some of the hardware. I changed out the DSL cable, the ethernet cable, the microfilter, even the router's power cable to exclude any electrical fault. The results were still all the same. One other thing I tried was removing the front cover of the master socket and ensuring the wiring was intact as well as cleaning out any dust.

Apart from all of that I wasn't really sure what else could be done. Over the next couple of nights I continued to test the internet and I noticed whilst working, particularly in the evening, my connection would drop all together. The router would do its thing and bring be back online eventually. Could just be the investigation team running test though. In my free time I also like to relax by playing some games, some of these games don't really require that much bandwidth so it's alright for the most part but at times I can get major and inconsistent lag spikes which don't stop unless I restart the router. But I'm overall I'm pretty sure this is just because of the low speeds. 

I also recently did a BT broadband availability checker and compared it to my last address, everything seemed normal and as to what I expected. The ranges were slightly lower for the ADSL Products but the only major difference was the VDSL ranges being that I was 80Mbps download on my old address and 50Mbps for the current new one.

If anyone has any idea what could be going on I'd gladly like to hear it. Hope to hear from the investigation team soon.

5 REPLIES 5
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Re: Experiencing extremely low broadband speeds

Hi @Ravic8 

Thanks a lot for reaching out and I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems with your broadband speed. I've run some tests on the line and a potential issue has indeed been found. Before raising with our suppliers though, we'd need to ensure that everything at the property is okay.

You've stated that you've replaced the cabling etc, so there's one more thing we'd like you to try if that's okay. If you can, please plug your router directly into the test socket, this lies behind the master socket if you're able to take off the face plate. If this does not resolve you're issues, please head over to faults.plus.net, and raise this with our Technical Support Team. I've popped our test results onto this post for your reference.

KBD
GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID  

Test Outcome Fail
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_1613
Description Potential HR Joint detected on GEA service. Please continue to submit a trouble report
Main Fault Location CE
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 5.4 Mbps
Upstream Speed 1.9 Mbps
Appointment Required Y
Fault Report Advised Y
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 1355.8
Upstream Rate Assessment Low
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed on Week Days
Service Impact Retrains Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From21:00to21:15
Interference Location Customer Premise
Interference Observed In Days 0
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2021-05-24T12:15:00
 Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Ravic8

Good morning, 

Thanks for the suggestion, I have gone ahead and removed the face plate of the master socket and successfully connected to the test socket. I re-did the speedtests a few times and the results were more or less the same, the download speeds were still only reaching and average of 4.7Mbps and the upload had lowered even more, now only reaching an average 0.5Mbps with lows of 0.3Mbps. 

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thank you for your response @Ravic8

If you'd like to reply to this post stating your availability, I'll be more than happy to raise the fault with our suppliers, and get an engineer appointment booked. As stated earlier, if the fault is found to be internal, a £65.00 charge may be applied to the account at a later date. If you're happy to go ahead, please let me know.

Adam
Ravic8

Hi,

I am available at any time Monday to Friday, including today, and also from 4pm on Saturdays and Sundays. Thanks

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @Ravic8

Thanks for your response. Great stuff, I've now raised this matter with Openreach and have sent you an email with further details if you'd like to have a look. Let us know if you need any further assistance.

-

Adam