cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange is Fibre Enabled but can't get Fibre

ryanjohnstone
Hooked

Exchange is Fibre Enabled but can't get Fibre

I'm not on an Exchange only line either, is there a reason for this? It's a new build property, completed around 4 months ago. Is it related to the cabinet number? Openreach says they're exploring solutions so seems like it's not even being considered right now. 

7 REPLIES 7
MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Exchange is Fibre Enabled but can't get Fibre

Its not the exchange enabled that is the key, its the cab your copper line is connected to that is the key.

Not sure I understand this 

I'm not on an Exchange only line either, is there a reason for this?

The decision to be on an exchange only line is Openreaches and where they lay copper. Most of the time its via a cab, sometimes it doesn't and it goes direct to the exchange. Last I had seen they were not putting fttc in exchanges, just the cabs, but as you said you are not on an EOL then that wont be an issue.

If you put your details in https://www.dslchecker.bt.com it should tell you what cab you are on (at top) and what products you can have, and what dates they are becoming available.

ryanjohnstone
Hooked

Sorry, I worded that incorrectly. I know about exchange only lines. Was just wondering if there were a reason I couldn't get fibre when the exchange was enabled. But I understand now, just frustrating that it doesn't seem like I'll be getting fibre in the near future. Thought it would be different living about a mile out of a large city centre.
thealiendad

I had this issue. When the property we now live in was built, BT decided to bypass the cabinet and connect our line directly to the exchange. This tock me approximately 6 months to get resolved and once BT routed our line back out of the exchange and through the cab i was able to order fibre.

I can't remember where i found the issue but your post code will only show the exchange availability for fibre, your number is required to show that you bypass the cabinet or not.

ryanjohnstone
Hooked

Post code also shows unavailability for fibre so I think I have a long wait ahead of me, unless Virgin decide to cable the street
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Have you tried checking the Fibre Journey by typing in your home phone number here

http://homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/when-can-i-get-fibre.aspx

-Edit-

It could give more of an indication as to when you'll get it.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
ryanjohnstone
Hooked

Oh yeah, I look at that every month or so. Says the exchange is fibre enabled but It's on the first step so probably looking at years before it's available. Likely to have moved before then.
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@ryanjohnstone

The people to blame are the house builders. They have taken your money but only paid BT to install a basic service (i.e. telephone line). The developers have cheaped out and you get the legal requirement of a phone line that is connected to wherever BT have capacity.

It is a shame in this day and age that new house buyers are left with inadequate telecommunications by the actions of ripoff builders.  

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT