cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Everyone in our farmyard can get fibre except us. Why?

tigzybear
Grafter

Re: Everyone in our farmyard can get fibre except us. Why?

I know! Haha 😁

Anyway, thanks for the link I can see what’s happening now 😊

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@tigzybear

OK, having a confirmed UG connection is probably the answer as to why some can get FTTP but you can't. They will have completed the work for the overhead side of things but may not have for the underground part.

I know (to my cost) that OpenReach have a shortage of equipment for FTTP networks due to the national ramp up of network installs. On my street it took 5 visits for the network install - as and when equipment became available!!!. Thought that was the end of it until OR didn't show up for my FTTP house install - funnily enough the excuse was "shortage of equipment".

Brian

bmc
Hero

@tigzybear

Just re-read your post. Are all 16 properties on an underground feed from the chambers? If so, then my last post doesn't make sense as the OH bit of the install would only be to the UG chamber.

If you read the following article you'll see how the new method of FTTP installation works. In particular look at the pictures of the DP in the underground chamber. The two DP's to the right take 8 connections each.

http://blog.thinkbroadband.com/2016/06/a-peek-at-the-future-world-of-openreach-fttp/

I suspect OpenReach won't supply cable is it comes with a pre-installed connector at one end. I was surprised to see that the DP's come with a pre-attached cable - I watched them run the cable and then they pulled the DP from the centre of the cable drum!!!

Next time the UG chamber is open be nosey and have a look at it and see if DP's are installed.

Brian

tigzybear
Grafter

Thanks Brian, yes this makes sense and is what we have in the farmyard 

My husband will be interested to look at info in the blog, that’s very helpful! 

I hope you finally have fibre yourself, sounds like its been hassle. Obviously it’s a massive task for openreach to be fair and no wonder there are shortages of equipment etc. 

I will keep chasing and asking like you say.

And in the meantime I’ll hope plusnet can do something about our current 0.1mbps line speed. 

Would be so nice to be able to be able to stream stuff or just surf generally on our home broadband. 

Thanks very much for your help. 😊

bmc
Hero

Apart from looking to see if DP's are installed, see if any blue draw rope is in place for the house ducts. The question to ask any "poor" OR engineer you happen to waylay is if they can think of any technical reason why 2 (or 3) houses are not showing as accepting orders when all others are.

The cable duct from the UG chamber to your house is not a problem for the network install team. The one serving my house has 7 lines installed and 5 have draw ropes in place (with only one minor blockage to overcome). The network install team couldn't easily access the other two ducts so didn't waste time trying. As one of the lads said, if the house doesn't order FTTP then they don't have a problem. If the house does then the install team will spend the time. However they do need access to the duct at the house end to run the cable.

Other than the missed appointment the FTTP install has been quite entertaining (and fast). My chamber is in my neighbour's garden about 3 metres from my door so I was able to stand and chat with the lads while they worked. They are still working to complete all the streets In the area but it took only about 2 months from the announcement FTTP was coming to my street accepting orders - and we weren't the first.

The missed appointment was last Tuesday (one of 3 on the street they missed!!!) and I'm waiting to hear when the new date will be.

Brian

tigzybear
Grafter

Hi Brian, my husband says there won’t be any blue draw rope to our house but openreach could possibly use the existing cable to pull a draw rope through to then attach fibre cables to, This would be difficult as there would be a lot of friction and there is also series of bends my husband had to originally create/negotiate - underneath nearest neighbour’s parking space, go around the back of a shed and a garden boundary to connect. 

There is a duct at our house that an install team could easily get at to run a cable though. 

So when you say if we don’t order FTTP they don’t have a problem, what do you mean - how do I go about ordering? I’m confused. 

Sounds like you’re almost there!!! Lucky you, it’ll all be worthwhile once you’re up and running 🙂

bmc
Hero

Sorry about any confusion. I was talking about the network install team not wasting any time trying to access the cable duct at the house end (at my cabinet they were running their access rod from the house to the chamber so they knew which duct was which).

This doesn't affect the availability of FTTP at any premise they don't check. If an order is placed  the house install team have to spend the time accessing the duct.

The bends shouldn't be a problem unless they are right angled!!! The wire rod they use is pretty flexible.

Brian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there.

I'm just following up with regards to your current broadband connection. From testing your line, I can see that your connection appears to be definitely under-performing in terms of speed.

Would you be able to plug your router into the test socket as explained here and let us know how it goes?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
tigzybear
Grafter

Hi Anoush,

thanks very much for checking back.

Well I think the set up we already have is as good as it gets. An openreach engineer fitted this socket a few years ago. So we don’t have micro filters as it’s fitted on top of the master socket 

I’ve attached a photo so you can see what we’ve got 

The router and phone line plug straight in. 

Our speeds are still really slow today this evening. I’ve attached a readout of that too. 

tigzybear
Grafter

Oops I only attached the speed result.

Here’s the pic of the socket

859B383C-D9B8-41D5-A17E-6B0BDCD1496C.jpeg

tigzybear
Grafter

Hi Brian,

Apparently the set up around boundaries and under car park area required many right angles!! 

Ughhh 😕🤔

edwh
Rising Star

Another source of information could be the supporting authority for your “superfast” rollout. FTTP came to my area through BDUK managed locally by West Sussex County Council. WSCC had contact with Openreach and every query I put to the WSCC contact was responded to promptly and informatively and they also seemed to know slightly more than the online checkers ever told me.

Try searching for “Superfast <yourcountyname>” and see what it offers.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for posting a picture of your socket

Would you be able to plug your router into the test socket nonetheless? This is found underneath the faceplate, to the lower right hand corner. It'd rule out any issues with the internal wiring behind the faceplate.

Failing that, the next step would be to arrange another engineer to take a look at the connection.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
tigzybear
Grafter

Hi Anoush

ok so I took off the faceplate and then plugged a brand new splitter into that. Can’t see a socket that the router could plug directly into other than via a splitter as the end of the router cable is square and the socket to plug into is rectangular 

I’ve got a pic of what I did 

also a speed test with it set up like that 

Is that what you meant? 

083C3D06-B542-4B31-B0C8-57959E196CF3.jpegEEF28C84-2B4C-4A39-9B8B-F98D0DD565E2.png

tigzybear
Grafter

Hi edwh, 

that sounds useful, I’ve contacted openreach but received no response so far. I will go search this now and hopefully have something similar set up here to help answer my questions. 

Thanks very much 🙂