cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Everyone in our farmyard can get fibre except us. Why?

tigzybear
Grafter

Everyone in our farmyard can get fibre except us. Why?

Been waiting for fibre for ages as our current internet speed can’t even be determined on the broadband speed test page, it’s THAT slow. 

I’ve only loaded this forum as I’m tethered to my phone. 

Anyway the openreach vans have been busy and now I see on fibre checker that almost everyone in our farmyard (16 properties) can get speeds up to 300mbps. 

I don’t think we’re getting 100kbps. Often nothing at all.

Attached screenshot of my ‘speed test’ when I am connected to our home broadband 😂

It stayed at this point for 3 mins, after which the little internet whizzy thing top left of screenshot gave up spinning. 

Joking aside, it would be really nice to get fibre. The openreach guy said I just had to go ahead and order but I can’t order if it’s saying on fibre checker that I can’t have it yet surely? 

It seems that for some reason openreach have not connected us yet even though our nearest neighbours who can get fibre are approx 10m away. So is this something that I take up with openreach themselves or with plusnet?

Thanks 

45 REPLIES 45
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Everyone in our farmyard can get fibre except us. Why?

Hi there.

It sounds like your neighbours can get FTTP (fibre to the property).

What available products are showing when you input your landline phone number into www.dslchecker.bt.com?
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
tigzybear
Grafter

Hi, 

So for us it says the usual wbc adsl 2.5 and for our neighbour it says FTTP 300mbps

I’ve attached 2 screenshots of the results on the link you gave me - ours/our neighbours 

Looks like we don’t have the FTTP thing yet, no idea why when the rest of the farmyard does. 

so can I do anything about it and via who? I’m not blaming plusnet, I realise you can only provide the speed the line will allow but would be great to get up to 300mbps ASAP! 

Thanks for your help 🙂

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I don't know a great deal about FTTP but it's possible your property may be served by a different distribution point (usually at a telegraph pole]. Is there an estimated date when you track the fibre progress at https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-broadband/when-can-i-get-fibre?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
tigzybear
Grafter

There’s a telegraph pole, think we’re all connected to that and openreach were busy down a couple of manholes only 20m away from our door. Then all of a sudden everyone else could have fibre. 

According to the link it says we’re at ‘field survey’ stage estimated to be connected between now and December. 

Just want to make sure they don’t forget about us though! 

So for the quickest result do I need to contact openreach myself? Plusnet can’t do anything to hurry them up on our behalf? 

Thanks again 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It seems that you're still on their radar. I appreciate how it feels being in the dark, but I don't think you'll be able to contact Openreach directly for this type of request and neither can we unfortunately.

It's probably no consolation but I know people on my team that are stuck on exchange only lines with no prospect for fibre at all. 

I'd keep checking the Openreach website every so often and fingers crossed things change by Christmas.

About your current speeds, from looking at your estimates I'd expect you to get more than 100kbps as 2.5mbps should be decent enough for basic web browsing etc. Have you reported a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
tigzybear
Grafter

Ok. So weird that everyone else is connected up though! I’ll keep checking.

We’re nowhere near 2.5mbps most of the time, takes ages loading a page or emails much of the time, or drops out altogether. 

I’ll report to the faults link, maybe they can help speed things up in the meantime. 

Thanks for your help, it’s much appreciated. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems Smiley Hopefully FTTP becomes available for you soon.

Just a heads up when it’s available you’ll need to sign up at trials.plus.net rather than go down the usual route of ordering fibre over the phone.

Let us know when you’ve reported the fault and I’ll be happy to take a look.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
tigzybear
Grafter

Ah great thanks, will do that! 😊

Finally managed to run speed tests when I reported to faults. After 4 errors due to internet dropping out I got 3 test results with an average of 0.1mbps upload speed and the same for download. Latency was 1004ms.

No idea what it really means. I’m hoping it’s not actually a good result and is the best we can hope for haha  😄

Thanks again

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

@tigzybear In your opening post you said "almost everyone in our farmyard (16 properties) can get speeds up to 300mbps"; Just wondering how many can't? Being more than one (you) lends credence to Openreach needing to do further work.

If you spot the engineers about it's worth asking if they have any knowledge of timescales.

David
tigzybear
Grafter

Hi David

I’ve just checked again, two of us can’t get fibre at the moment, possibly a 3rd property although I’m assuming there’s an error on the checking system as it’s in the middle of a terrace of cottages who can all get fibre.  I did ask the engineer last week and pointed to our property. He said, yes just go ahead and order. 

I will try contacting openreach anyway. See if I can get them on it sooner. 

Thanks for your help. 

tigzybear
Grafter

Hi anoush

So support emailed me this morning. I think they are doing something remotely to the line over 72 hours (they’ve done this before when I contacted them about 7 months ago) 

Didn't make any difference unfortunately 

I’ve attached a screenshot as only half of the email will load and I can’t see what to do next when the 72 hours is up, and I got a mailer daemon notice when I replied 

thanks 

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@tigzybear

You've done the first check I was going to suggest - looking at all other properties in the "farmyard" to see how many can get FTTP. I assume you used your post code on the "When can I get Fibre" website and then checked each address.

I had a second check in mind when you mentioned the underground chambers. However, it appears you have an overhead connection. If you look at the DSL image you posted for the line that can get FTTP you'll see a narrative for the FTTP connection which states "OH potential wayleave issues"

My number has "UG Proven Clear" - now I watched them do it so I know "proven clear" means they ran a check on the duct to the house and left a draw rope in place. I've also seen " UG Feed with no anticipated issue" - I believe (due to work done last year) that this relates to a house that has the "old school" installation method where the house duct wasn't checked as part of the network install.

Brian

tigzybear
Grafter

Hi Brian,

We don’t have an overhead cable as my husband laid the cable to our property himself when we renovated it. 

There is overhead cable to the farmyard itself, then ducting to a nearby chamber and then from there, underground ducting that my husband laid and installed when he put in the BT cable. BT supplied the cable for free. 

Do you know whether openreach would supply a cable and my husband could run it to the chamber? My husband thinks they will drag their heels as they don’t know whether the ducting is clear. He thinks ours might be expensive to get to. 

Unless there is some other way of doing it that we’re not aware of. None of the residents here want overhead cables so it can’t be done that way. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It’s a bit strange that you can only see half the content of the email. If you go here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=search you should be able to view the ticket 160311111 online.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet