cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Everybody around me seems to get 80mb, but i only get 40mb, maybe just location?

martin2006
Grafter

Everybody around me seems to get 80mb, but i only get 40mb, maybe just location?

I'll keep this relatively short hopefully.
i have recently been connected to FTTC fibre and my line profile looking on the BTW test site is roughly 40 mb down and 20 mb up and i actually get 38 mb down and about 7 mb up and i am on the standard plusnet fibre package as the extra couldn't guarantee better than 40 mb, so understood.
My first question is, if i upgraded to extra, would i see the 20 mb upload?
Looking at the attached clip from google earth, when i run the 'what can i expect' test on the Bt website, all my firends shown can get 80/20, where mine can only achieve the 40 mb D/L.
Do i have a potential problem or is it just the case of location as there may be more than one fibre cable serving all of us.
Any thoughts would be much appreciated
15 REPLIES 15
mwarby
Grafter

Re: Everybody around me seems to get 80mb, but i only get 40mb, maybe just location?

I'm sure a plusnet bod, with access to your profile will be able to provide a better answer. Your 7mb upload does suggest to me you might struggle to get much more download
it might help if you can run the bt wholesale speed test and post the results http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/bbfaults/bt_speed_tester.shtml
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Everybody around me seems to get 80mb, but i only get 40mb, maybe just location?

A quick check - put your phone number and your friends phone numbers in here and see how the results and cab compare http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput
martin2006
Grafter

Thanks for the replies, and OldJim - you have been here a while, you used to help me out when i first got broadband which was a while ago, used to be JamesH from plusnet and i see Jelv is till around too.
Anyway, i have run the BTW speedtest and results attached. it does show as 20 mb is maximum but only achieves 6 mb, is this because i am on the standard package?
What is a little strange is my friend near the cabinet is still 80/20.
my other friend across the field from me is now only showing he can get ADSL2+ and is served by a different cabinet and the same when i check on the BT website.
My other friend who is with talktalk cant even be tested so i am guessing my earlier results i got from the BT website were rogue.
It does seem odd that my friend who is 100 yards up the road is getting double what i get. when we were both on ADSL2+, he would get 16 mb and i would get around 12 mb.
Anyway, thanks very much for the input.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Your ADSL speed difference (16Mb vs 12Mb) would suggest that your line is about 500m longer than that of your friend
http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2012/graph-ADSL-speed-versus-distance
The table on the above page would estimate your line to be around 2.5km (from the exchange) vs 2km for your friend and that leads to a corresponding drop in VDSL performance
http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2013/chart-bt-fttc-vdsl2-speed-against-distance
The table on the above page would suggest that your friend is between 200m and 300m from the cabinet and you are between 700m and 800m.  I make no claim for the accuracy of the tables of course but they do show a consistent order of magnitude difference...
chrcoluk
Grafter

your line is clearly significantly longer, sadly BT line routing can be far from direct.
I am 200m from my cabinet walking distance, but line is nearer 400m in length.
Due to high crosstalk severity, you probably need to be under 200m to be reasonably confident of a solid long lasting 80meg sync.  Above that its still very possible but crosstalk will drag it down.
martin2006
Grafter

Thanks all, the distance would make sense, i have marked on another google earth image and i am guessing the route the cable takes, but i would imagine it goes on a bit of a detour before getting to me.
Now the other two addresses are not showing the 80/20, it makes it more understandable as it seemed that everyone around was getting the maximum.
Another 5 years for FTP, not that i need it really, just one of those things that was bugging me
Why does my line profile show maximum achievable upload as 20 mb but achieves on 6 mb ?
thanks
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The upload speed certainly is a puzzle.  It's probably worth running through the tests on http://faults.plus.net and PN will run tests on your line.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

The upload speed won't change with a product change since you are already on a 20 Mbps upload product. Your upload speed will be going as fast as it can right now.
That is not to say that it cannot be improved, but a product change won't do that.
martin2006
Grafter

Thank you both, i'll have a run through the tests and see what gives, stand by for an update
caravanj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Yes the upload speed puzzled me too.
We're on the 40 Mbps package & get 38 Mbps but we get at least 15 Mbps upload.
martin2006
Grafter

You have jogged my memory that i have had this problem before on ADSL2+, i'll have to search this forum to find out what it was last time
thanks
And here it is, not much help though although i will try connecting to the master socket and also my issued modem and router for a while
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,103856.msg883652.html#msg883652
martin2006
Grafter

Does the attached mean anything about my upload speed ?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Your line is definitely provided on the 80/20 service, so there's no restriction based on that side of things. Judging from the estimates it may simply be the best you can get.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

As Chris says, this may just be the capability of your line. It is very close to the capability of my line. I can get a little over 40Mbps sync speed (although I am only on the 40 Mbps product as there is no point in paying more). My upload is around the 7 or 8 Mbps.
VDSL2 is very adaptive and will pretty much squeeze all the speed it can get from the line. Barring some line fault, your speed stats are not uncommon.