cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Evening speeds are under guarenteed speed.

scottrc
Rising Star

Evening speeds are under guarenteed speed.

Hi,

During the day I get 66mb down as per my IP profile. In the evenings I get really bad latency and speeds of 30-35mb down. My minimum guarenteed speed is 44.1Mbps as per the email.

Where do I stand on this?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Evening speeds are under guarenteed speed.

Wireless speeds or wired? You won't get any joy if it is wireless. If wired, try https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest and see how single thread is compared to multi thread. Could be indicative of exchange congestion.

Mark

brookheather
Rising Star

Speed guarantees relate to your modem sync rate not actual throughput. If you have slow down in the evenings then it is likely you have congestion at the exchange - raise a fault through support and they should raise the problem with OR. They may already be aware of the congestion and have future plans to resolve.
BT FTTP 500 + pfSense + Uniquiti Unifi 6 Pro
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there.

Our tests aren't showing any congestion and there aren't any reported capacity issues at the exchange. I'm noticing a lot of downstream usage on your connection last night. Are you running speed tests with no devices using the bandwidth?

If you are, do you experience the slowdowns across wireless devices or ethernet directly to the router?

Regarding your IP profile, from what I can see your sync rate is 74.8mbps and you're on an unbanded profile "0.128M-80M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off" so you should be able to achieve speeds of close to 74mbps at least over a wired connection.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need any further assistance.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
scottrc
Rising Star

Hi, I do everything through ethernet, except for my phone which I hardly use. All the tests were done on ethernet using the latest MK5 main socket, without in-house wiring. In the BT wholesale test it shows an IP profile of 66mb ish. It might of been just a couple of busy nights but I tried three different test sites and all were jumping around the 30-35mb down mark. It was later in the evening I was streaming so that was the usage, but this was done after the tests.

Good to know I'm not banded or anything though. Strangely last night on the BT wholesale test my IP profile was 66 and now it's 68, so hopefully it's sorting itself out after the re-wiring. Could it be due to the old noise margin? As I see that is slowly dropping also. At the moment downloads wont go higher than the IP profile that shows in the BT wholesale site.

It's not that I'm mega bothered by it, just interesting to know how it all works. I have attached a pic of the BT wholesale test and IP Profile it shows for me. I have no idea why it shows that download speed mind you.

Untitled.png

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

If you've just been testing your speed via the BT wholesale site, this may be where the problem lies as the wholesale speedtester has been known to give some unreliable readings recently. There's quite a topic about this over Here.

Could you test your speed at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest letting us know what the results are?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
scottrc
Rising Star

I was only using the BT wholesale one to find out the IP Profile. 

Here is the thinkbroadband one done just now. I can never seem to get it to go higher than the IP profile listed on the BT wholesale test.

Untitled.png

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Ah fair. Thanks for additional speed test. That does look odd, though unfortunately there's very little we can do as our tests aren't showing this at all and we have limited tools available to us to remotely fix or change fibre lines.

Any fault we'd report through to our suppliers would more than likely come back with a request to book an engineer visit which I don't think is a good idea seeing as your speeds are performing within the line estimates.

It may be a case of waiting for the automated DLM software to do its thing and hopefully your speeds improve in the future(Assuming the issue is what we think it is).

It's not that I'm mega bothered by it, just interesting to know how it all works.

Looks like this one may be a mystery. Undecided

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
scottrc
Rising Star

Just an update, tried a speed test on a different site and this is what I got, which seems more accurate if everything is correct.

speedof.me_18-11-02.png