cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Evening slow downs

plusmore
Grafter

Evening slow downs

Not sure what is going on here but every evening my performance drops as can be seen in the attached file. This never used to happen and I am wondering if this is either because of the load on my local exchange or if there is congestion on the Plusnet backbone that impacts everyone. There seem to be general comments about performance drop-offs so could it be that the underlying Plusnet infrastructure just can't cope?
6 REPLIES 6
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Evening slow downs

Can you try running the BT Speed Test (http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/) and Further Diagnostics at peak times? If your connection falls below the acceptable level for your line (will appear red), it will give you the option of running the next stage of the test. You'll be given a new login and this test will aim to include or eliminate Plusnet as the source of the problem.
I suspect it will be localised congestion.
plusmore
Grafter

Will keep an eye on my monitor and run the test suggested once the speed drops.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

The tests above will provide a lot of answers. We can then raise with BTw if required.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
plusmore
Grafter

Had technical support look into this (ticket 103348719) but all they could tell me was that the line was stable. Whenever I get a glitch (see latest attached screenshot) the BTW Speedtest comes back OK and running at full speed although the ping times as 30-40ms which is a bit long. I can't help wondering if everything is fine and dandy on the BTW side of the route but clogged somewhere inside the PN network as the results are intermittent not indicating a permanent hard error.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

The BT speedtester isn't generally the best service to check pings with. You'll get more accurate results doing a ping from your machine or using a website such as www.pingtest.net
Have you tried another speedtest website when the issue is happening like the one here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
plusmore
Grafter

I'll try that - the ping times on the graph above are from my machine pinging the BBC website. It was another PN staff member (Tony) that asked me to use the BTW Speedtest