cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet no longer working

MegaPixelMan
Grafter

Ethernet no longer working

I've just bought a new gaming PC. (Lenovo Erazer X310)
I had the Graphics card and Power supply upgraded too but I don't see that being the cause for my issue.
All is well with the new PC except now for some reason the Ethernet doesn't seem to work.
I've done all Windows Updates. Even downloaded the Ethernet driver from Lenovo's website.
Still nothing is making it work.
WiFi works fine.
This is my latest speed test via WiFi - http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4387142998
When I plug in the Ethernet cable it'll sometimes say its connected or limited. But I cant load any pages or do anything with it.
I did some research on this and some people believe its an issue with Windows 8/8.1 but I am unsure. Can anyone help?
13 REPLIES 13
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Ethernet no longer working

When I plug in the Ethernet cable it'll sometimes say its connected or limited. But I cant load any pages or do anything with it.

That sounds like the cable and port are working (sort of), but there is possibly an IP conflict between the wifi and ethernet connections on the PC. Have you set a static IP for the PC either in the network card settings or on the router?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
MegaPixelMan
Grafter

I haven't done no. How would I go about doing that?
Chris
Legend

That throws my idea out then!
Have you tried using a different ethernet port on the router? Or simply powercycling the router (once you've disconnected the adsl from with the admin panel).
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
MegaPixelMan
Grafter

It seems to recognise it when its plugged into Port 1. But I just switched it over to Port 2 and its saying theres nothing connected to Ethernet.
Also in my search to find answers people were mentioning something about LAN settings. For whatever reason I don't appear to have LAN anywhere on my Networks list. The WiFi is there, Ethernet is there too. I don't know if that has anything to do with the problem though.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

it says it has a Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000)  in device manager is it OK ??  no yellow triangle .
what router you using i would try another if you have a spare , or even try a new Ethernet cable first 
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Chris
Legend

It seems to recognise it when its plugged into Port 1. But I just switched it over to Port 2 and its saying theres nothing connected to Ethernet.

Could very easily be a faulty port on the router. If it's one we've supplied and still within warranty I'll get a new one sent out to you if you like.
MegaPixelMan
Grafter

I have no idea if its within warranty or not. Is that someting you can find out?
If that will fix this issue then sure that would be a big help.
If I am outside warranty what would be my option then?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

It could easily be a faulty cable - is it damaged or badly twisted?
If possible, try substituting a fresh cable.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

MegaPixelMan
Grafter

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
It could easily be a faulty cable - is it damaged or badly twisted?
If possible, try substituting a fresh cable.

Well the cable and router worked fine on my laptop before I got my new PC.
This is why I am confused. Since I've had them I have had no issues with either the cable or the router. I had no reason to believe that would change when I got my new PC.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Then perhaps it is a damaged laptop port?  Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

MegaPixelMan
Grafter

I don't have that laptop anymore Tongue
The fan broke on that one, so I sent it off for repair. That's why I bought this PC. I use it for streaming/gaming which is why I need the ethernet Wink
Chris
Legend

Surely the fact that it's working correctly from port 1 on the router but not on port 2 points the finger firmly at port 2.
I've dispatched a replacement out to you.
MegaPixelMan
Grafter

Fantastic, thanks Chris.
No doubt I'll be back here if I still have no luck with it Smiley
Much appreciated!