cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Estimated line speed for fibre?

Fasltd

Estimated line speed for fibre?

To my shock and suprise this morning I woke to an email telling me that my estimated line speed is between 4 and 8mbps but plusnet are amazingly destroying this speed by giving me 21mbps broadband speed.
Unfortunately I pay for upto 80mbps fibre and was promised that I would not receive speeds of less than 70mbps when I signed up. At first I was getting 50mbps I found this acceptable 50 is a good speed and im not greedy.
For the past few days I have been receiving the stated 21mbps ish. This however is clearly not acceptable, I payed for up to 38mbps with talktalk and got speeds of 28mbps so plusnet must be doing something wrong if they cannot even match a middle weight fibre package and then lie to me telling me my line speed is estimated at 4- 8mbps.
I would like to know what has gone wrong here and how it will be resloved?
4 REPLIES 4
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Estimated line speed for fibre?

Hi,
As another  PN customer who has had exactly these symptoms  after switching to fibre I'd suggest you approach this as follows:
How long have you been on a fibre conenction with PN? You may have been accidentally provisioned on the wrong deal. That's easy for PN to fix .
Or  your IP profile has been set incorerctly and needs resetting. ( this is what my problem turned out to be)
Or there may be line faults or faults with the equipment at the exchange or at the cabinet resulting in reduced connectivity and issues with the connection.
None of these explantions are the fault of anyone in particular  but can be due to a multitude of reasons over which no one has any control - like rain getting into the joints in the line or  errors in automatic equipment  incorectly identifying your connection DLM ( Dynamic LIne management) may have tried to stablaise your line but only ended up slowing things down.
Somtimes all it takes is a manual intervention by CS to fix things sometimes it needs a deeper investigation to find the cause.
I'd advise you to be patient and report a speed fault on line :  I'd also advise a phone call to tech support when you have done that  and check out what is happening.
Let us know how you get on . Some members ask for technical details, but PN can find out all they need to know remotely once you engage their help! Which is why I suggest you report a fault.
( BTW: don't go turning your modem/ router on and off : leave it on 24/ 7 [unless PN advise you to do restart it]  as  that will only result in more problems )
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

First start here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,143836.0.html and then the section "Speed Fault (EPP)" at http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/broadband-faults-guide-fttc/ and finally log a fault at http://faults.plus.net/
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Fasltd

Hi,
Thanks for the responses.
I have had this broadband for 14 days, over the last week I have noticed the slow down but because they say that your line will not be stable for the first couple of weeks I have just left it alone. until I got the email that is. I have attached a screen shot of this.
I understand you all saying that I should take my time and it may not be any bodies fault (in no way am I having a go at forum users, I appreciate you're help) but I am trying to run a business here and wasting my time fiddling around with internet settings isn't really feasible. If I supplied a product or service to one of my customers that didn't operate correctly I would be expected to sort it out. As I cannot get through to customer support (without wasting a few hours) I though that PN would respond on here.
The line hasn't been touched since I was getting speeds of 28mbps with talktalk, even the openreach engineer said my line is still connected so he didn't have to do anything, PN take over and promise the world and deliver a slower speed. Internet is PN's business so I want them to fix the problem.
I tried to log a fault and I am being sent around the houses, being told to plug my router into test switches, I just don't have the time to be messing around, the internet works PN have clearly slowed me down or capped me for some reason and they need to sort this out.
Rant over (apologies for this in no way am I ranting at community members like I said I appreciate your help)     
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Well, ignoring the reasons you changed from TT, it is a fact that TT uses LLU and therefore has  it's own equipment in the exchange, whereas PN uses parent company BT's equipment . BT owned kit can operate differently to TT owned equipment on the same line and give hugely different results.    Line conditions can vary enormously and while some equipment is happy & gives acceptable results some just isn’t. It does not matter that you think nothing has changed - something has and finding out what  it is, is what  needs to be done.
There is actually no "settling in" period with FTTC broadband.
But that might not be the cause of your problem: it could be anything!
If you are running a business - full time - then theoretically you should be using PN's business package - and you are meant to get a superior customer service as it costs slightly more. Also I am sure any business will have someone who can deal with and solve any computer related technical issues and it is just you - the sole trader, then you will have to do it!
Also bear in mind that PN are a no frills, straightforward affordable ISP and you may not get the level of customer service you might expect to for a business service. For that you would have to go to a business standard service operated by some of the other players - maybe XLN or Spitfire for instance.
For myself I would have to use one of those more expensive had I not got some knowledge of the way the internet works!
At the end of the day you have to follow the instructions given above and report the problem to Plus Net to get the problem solved

If it turns out there us nothing anyone can do about this at PN you may have to transfer back to TT; many do.
Good luck