cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Estimated Line Speed too high - will this have a detrimental effect on my connection?

jlog
Grafter

Estimated Line Speed too high - will this have a detrimental effect on my connection?

Hi,

I recently moved house taking my Plusnet Fibre account (and phone number) with me.

I was nearer to an exchange in the old house than I am now. I was previously getting around 50mb but in the new house I'm averaging around 15Mb.

I'm been having a couple of issues (more info below) so having been looking at my account/googling I've spotted that my Estimated Line Speed hasn't been updated since my move. I've moved home on 3/8 but my fibre wasn't connected until 22/8. However, the latest ELS is dated 7/8 so I'm guessing this is based on the line at my previous house:

Estimated line speed:69Mb (This may vary between 51Mb and 69.8Mb) - Checked on 2017-08-07 18:31:56

Current line speed:16.2 Mb

Will this have a detrimental effect on my connection?

As mentioned above, I'm having a couple of issues at the mo...packet loss/latency warnings when playing PS4 online and my internet connection appears to die every time I try and upload something to Google Drive.

One thing I should mention  is that I have just replaced my Technicolour tg582n with a  TP-Link Archer VR900 V2 router. I am planning on checking to dig out my Technicolour to see if these issues persist.

Thanks,
Jamie

6 REPLIES 6
jlog
Grafter

Re: Estimated Line Speed too high - will this have a detrimental effect on my connection?

Sorry, should've posted this in the Fibre forum.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Estimated Line Speed too high - will this have a detrimental effect on my connection?

Moderator Note by Dick (Strat)

Moved to Fibre board.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jlog
Grafter

I am a bit puzzled now as I’ve just put my phone number into  https://www.dslchecker.bt.com and, unless I’ve read them wrong, the results show that my line is capable of faster speeds than the 16Mb I’m currently getting:

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

WBC FTTC 18x2 Provide Availability

WBC FTTC 18x2 Sim Availability

Left in Jumper

High

Low

High

Low

VDSL Range A (Clean)

Available

--

Yes

Yes

--

VDSL Range B (Impacted)

Available

--

Yes

Yes

--

So now I’m not sure if my Estimated Line Speed is too high or my actual line speed is too low? Undecided

I hadn’t questioned my line speed until now as, when sorting out my move, Plusnet advised that I’d be looking at a 20Mb download speed at best. Given this was the case, I moved from the 76Mb tariff to the 38Mb tariff.

(apologies if this reply is duplicated… I thought I’d posted one 30 mins back but it was nowhere to be seen when I checked back Laugh)

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note:

@jlogTwo posts released from the Spam Filter and the duplicate removed.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Hi there.

The current line speed will have been from when you were at your previous provider and I suspect this is the reason your estimates are shown as higher too.

We can look at sending out a engineer to confirm but based on the estimates for other lines in your area there may be nothing we can do.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
jlog
Grafter

Thanks for the reply Matthew.

Yeah, last night I had a look at the lines speeds for a few my neighbours using the dslchecker address search function. They all had maximum speeds of around 20Mb rather than 69Mb and they were showing a different exchange to the one I get when I search with my phone number so I'm fairly sure it's showing stats based on my previous address (where I had Plusnet Fibre Extra).

I ended up speaking to tech support yesterday as my replies weren't appearing on this thread (stuck in a spam filter). Initially they amended my profile to allow 20Mb but, but after querying the dslchecker results and given it looked like my line was capable of quicker speeds than I was seeing, they then changed my profile to allow for 38Mb. 

I updated my support ticket this morning with the info regarding the estimates for the other houses on my street and to say that I think my phone number is showing out-of-date info and I am just waiting for a response. 

Is it possible that the probs I mentioned in my first post (uploading totally killing my internet connection/packet losses) could be the result of my profile being set for speeds faster than my line can actually handle?

Cheers