Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Erratic speeds

Madhatter007
Grafter

Erratic speeds

Hi,
In the last month my line speed has become erratic and it fluctuates from 47mb to 5mb DL.
WFH, I notice it when laptop comes to a crawl.
I have replaced the HH 6 with a FRITZbox 7530 but still happens.

Is there anything I can run to get to the bottom?
5 REPLIES 5
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Erratic speeds

Thanks for your post @Madhatter007 

I've been testing your line and the tests aren't showing any issues.

Are you seeing your sync speed dropping or throughput?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Madhatter007
Grafter

Synch speed dropped as that was due to my router swap over and several disconnects trying to get it to work.
Throughout, it just seems to freeze ever so often.

I was hoping it would actual.synch better as stats are better on the FRITZbox then homehub.

Not sure if this is related? In my members area current line speed line has gone from 76 to 46.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to me @Madhatter007 

The Current Line Speed in your account is basically just that, it's the current line speed that mimics the IP profile of the line, which in turn is 90-96% of the sync speed. We've no control over either the IP profile or sync speed.

Also there's no artificial restrictions and in addition you're on 3dB as per the profile "Downstream: 0.128M-80M3dB with Retransmission (Low). Upstream: 0.128M-20M with no error protection" which means the software at the cabinet is trying to give your line the best speed it can. 

As the estimated speed range for your line shown Here is between 40mbps to 56.9mbps I'm afraid we wouldn't be able to investigate further. Try plugging your router into the test socket explained Here though as this may increase your speed further by ruling out any internal wiring. 

With regards to the freezing you've mentioned, are your devices connecting wirelessly to your router or wired in?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Madhatter007
Grafter

Will try that.

My router is plugged in directly into the new MK4 faceplate and no extensions etc.

Only the cordless next to it
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@Madhatter007  well there is two things that can cause slower speeds!

1. The cordless phone frequencies can interfere with the router sync and wifi speeds, so try moving that as far away as you can.

2. The Mk4 socket is only clipped in, and can have some dodgy contacts - hence the suggestion of the test socket with a dangly filter..