Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Erratic Noise Margin - Fallen Tree on Line

jamesmprince
Hooked

Erratic Noise Margin - Fallen Tree on Line

Hi,

I spoke to an adviser yesterday (Syed) evening to report an issue with our internet connection.  As we recently had some strong winds on Saturday I noticed my internet speed had dropped from a stable 25mbit to 17mbit. On further investigation my noise margin was moving around erratically between 6db to 15db intermittently - Usually it was stable at around 5-7db depending on time of day.

I have checked the cables we are fed from from our nearest village and note a tree has fallen onto this cabling causing strain on the line (it is rubbing).  The line is pulled much lower than normal.  This I would assume is the cause on my issue. I have attached images of this.  We have a long line and I assume any small issue on the line could really cause issues for us!

The location of this tree fall is on a no through access road so can't imagine it would get reported - The postcode location is CT12 4JR (Monkton Street past the church, nr junction of A253).  The tree may get cleared by someone but the line may be left damaged thus leaving myself and others with an ongoing intermittent issue that could be harder to trace.

Syed advised this would be logged with Openreach, I said I would post this on the forum with images that could be passed on to them. I have also logged this separately with Openreach.

Many thanks.

James

5 REPLIES 5
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Re: Erratic Noise Margin - Fallen Tree on Line

Hi @jamesmprince,

Thank you for getting in touch, I'm sorry that you're experiencing connection problems and for any inconvenience that this is causing you. From what you've said, it does seem likely that the cable issue that you've mentioned is causing this.

Syed has adjusted your connection profile, however this hasn't been raised to our suppliers yet. I've tested your line and I can see that the speed is lower than expected, however the test hasn't picked up the cause of the problem from here so I am  unable to arrange for our suppliers to investigate this further externally. Please report the issue here and let us know when you've completed it. We will then be able to progress this further for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
jamesmprince
Hooked

Hi Emily,

Thanks for your response.  I have just done this. This doesn't appear to be an issue internal to me so would an engineer need to visit?

I'm not at home at the moment but did reset the router this morning, it initially synced at around 27mbit but the noise margin was not stable (very unusual) so it took some time to resync - so I'm not aware of what speed it synced at.

Many thanks

James

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thank you for reporting the fault to us. As you've shown that the issue is external, due to a tree falling on the line, I've raised this to our suppliers as damage to the overhead wire. This means that they should be able to investigate and resolve the fault without needing to visit your property. Their estimated response time is 72 hours but, with it being an external fault, it may be resolved sooner than this. Our faults team will be in touch once we've received an update from our suppliers.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
jamesmprince
Hooked

Many thanks Emily. Hope it gets sorted soon. Smiley

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No problem @jamesmprince. Hopefully this will be a fairly straightforward job and everything will be back to normal soon. Our faults team will let you know if our suppliers encounter any complications.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team