cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engineer visit for migration??

pictor21

Engineer visit for migration??

Hi,
I've just recently placed an order to migrate to Plusnet from another ISP, I am currently already on FTTC and have migrated before with no issues or engineer needed but for some reason when placing the order with Plusnet I am being told an engineer appointment is needed.
Could someone please clarify if this is correct as I don't really want to have to book time off work if not needed?
12 REPLIES 12
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Engineer visit for migration??

I was told that in my letter as well. It didn't happen. I suspect it's just a standard letter that everyone gets.
deathtrap
Grafter

Unless you are migrating from sky or tt then definitely no engineer in fact no openreach involvement  as it's done from a computer by BT wholesale And plusnet could charge less for migrations as their costs are lower £11 currently  So could easily charge £25 and still make a profit
dragon2611
Grafter

I moved from Sky and I didn't get an engineer then again I had an older install with the openreach FTTC modem.  It was a bit confusing as both myself and Plusnet were expecting an engineer to turn up but no-one did then the migration happened sometime in the early evening and I actually had to tell Plusnet that i'd gone live and get them to turn my login on.  Shocked
I think sometimes there is a bit of confusion between what the openreach systems tell Plusnet they're going to do and what actually ends up happening.
adie:Quote
deathtrap
Grafter

Well if you have a BT OR modem or your own unlocked VDSL2 modem  that can be used with any isp  then no engineer home visit needed , just a config change at the exchange of the GEA cable link from Sky's to BTW's
PLan2015
Grafter

Quote from: pictor21
Hi,
I've just recently placed an order to migrate to Plusnet from another ISP, I am currently already on FTTC and have migrated before with no issues or engineer needed but for some reason when placing the order with Plusnet I am being told an engineer appointment is needed.
Could someone please clarify if this is correct as I don't really want to have to book time off work if not needed?

I'm in the same situation, I have been given an engineer slot although I'm migrating from TalkTalk fibre to Plusnet fibre. I had an engineer install when I first signed up to FTTC with Plusnet. Opened a ticket (#103827183) on 9th May, still waiting for a definitive answer.  Huh
deathtrap
Grafter

Do you have a BT Openreach Modem or your own unlocked modem modem /router? (excludes the isp supplied equipment as normally locked to that isp) if you have the BT or your own kit  then no engineer visit to your home is required ,
PLan2015
Grafter

Yes, I'm up to my ears in VDSL modems and routers. There was no engineer visit when I joined TalkTalk fibre from Plusnet fibre so can't really see the need for a home visit going the other way.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Definitely no engineer visit needed (to you home at the very least), Plusnet 'systems' seem to assume that all 'new' FTTC provides need an engineer so everyone gets an appointment whether required or not, obviously it will be more reassuring if PN staff can confirm though.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Plusnet 'systems' seem to assume that all 'new' FTTC provides need an engineer so everyone gets an appointment whether required or not, obviously it will be more reassuring if PN staff can confirm though.

We actually have to book an engineer in the BTW system, which is generally cancelled once the order is recognised as a migration.
Fibre to Fibre migrations rarely have an engineer visit.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
pictor21

Well for what ever reason the migration didn't happen at all, no call to let me know there was a problem and after 40 mins on hold still no clearer as I need to get a call back from the team that places the orders who don't take calls!
Not a great start and I'm already regretting the decision to migrate to Plusnet  Sad
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

I'm really sorry to see this. I'm getting my colleague to prioritise your case and to contact you ASAP.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

I understand that you've just been off the phone with my colleague and you should be live by tonight  Smiley
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet