Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engineer needed for install?

FIXED
familylyall
Hooked

Engineer needed for install?

Hi,

We are in the process of changing to Plusnet Fibre from Talktalk regular ADSL. We've been given an install date of 1 Nov (a lot more than 10 days away!) and I've received 2 text messages, one saying the switch will take place any time before 12 midnight and the other saying between 8am and 1pm. Does this second text mean an engineer will have to attend our premises? I can't seem to find any info whether this is the case. Bear in mind we've never had fibre before....

Thanks

Rob

11 REPLIES 11
familylyall
Hooked

Re: Engineer needed for install?

....I've also just had a message from Talktalk that our services will be moving from them on the 24th October. So eight days without internet or phone? Is that right?

R

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Have you committed the cardinal sin ot telling Talk Talk that you are leaving rather than leave it to Plusnet to arrange to take over the line?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

familylyall
Hooked

Nope. We let Plusnet do it. The message from TalkTalk said 'We've received a request from another provider that you'll be moving your TalkTalk services over to them on 24th October 2017.' We got this just after the message from Plusnet saying 'Your fibre appointment is booked for 1st November 2017 between 8am - 1pm'. Sounds like a bit of a mess to me.....

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

An engineer doesn't have to attend your premises but does need to do work at the cabinet (and possibly the Exchange). Hence it can be anytime during the day.

If you put your phone number in here there may well be a narrative about an "Open Order"

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Brian

familylyall
Hooked

Thanks Brian, our number gives 'There is no data available for this number.' for a result at the moment. I'm seeing some contradictory advice on the forums, but the consensus seems to be if you're a new customer you will self-install but swapping from existing Plusnet ADSL you will need a home visit. Is that right? I don't know if this is to fit a filtered faceplate to the master socket or what, but it's always nice to know; I think the days of hubby out to work while his fragrant wife is constantly home minding the kids and doing the housework are well gone, and this will take a bit of arranging - see also home deliveries!

R

familylyall
Hooked

....and this also doesn't help with the eight days of disconnection problem. 

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

That can happen when there's stuff going on behind the scenes. Pity, as it tends to give the date any open order is expected to complete.

House visits are not required for FTTC installations (unless a problems has been identified beforehand). You simply plug the supplied filter into the phone socket.

For a move from ADSL to VDSL an engineer is required to "connect" your phone line from your cabinet to the fibre cabinet. I'm not certain about if any work is required at the Exchange.

Can't help with order dates.

Brian

familylyall
Hooked

Thanks guys, very helpful. Now to try to speak with a Plusnet representative and see if we can push those two dates a little closer together!

R

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

Hi Rob,

The original required by date was the 24th October but the order was delayed by Openreach to the 1st November.

As we're taking over an active service, I wouldn't expect you to be without service [except for a few hours on the day], so it's possibly just a case of that your previous provider hasn't comm'ed out the new transfer date to you.

FYI there's no engineer visit required to your property, apologies for the confusion caused.

I hope this helps Smiley

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
familylyall
Hooked

Hi, thanks very much you've put my mind at rest. If I don't hear anything soon from talktalk I'll contact them.
Thanks again.
Rob
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No problems Rob, let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet