Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engineer cannot install fibre due to India lockdown

FIXED
paliceorfh2
Fixes: 1

Engineer cannot install fibre due to India lockdown

We recently upgraded to the Unlimited Fibre package after encountering problems with our regular Broadband, on the recommendation of Plusnet. Our router arrived, but so far no engineer has been sent to (externally) install the fibre. I have called Plusnet customer service to ask for updates, only to be told that the upgrade is delayed because Plusnet customer service cannot contact BT Openreach customer service, because their call centre in India is closed due to a lockdown. 

We are very reliant on a good internet connection as we are both now working from home. Is there no possibly way for Plusnet to contact BT Openreach in the UK to book an engineer visit? I understand that the situation around COVID-19 has caused delays, but the Plusnet Coronavirus page advises that "We are continuing to provision new and existing customers where an engineer visit is not required, or the work we do can be completed outside the home". It also states that "If you have an open order with us, which isn’t for a new line, it will still go ahead and we'll get in touch if anything changes".

Do we really have to wait until India is no longer in lockdown to receive our upgrade? Any advice would be appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Engineer cannot install fibre due to India lockdown

@paliceorfh2 

You have been advised that there will be a delay because of a lockdown in India. You have not been advised that there is no other channel that isn't or won't come into play, be it overloaded and therefore causing delays.

As a stopgap have you considered using mobile data? Giffgaff are currently offering 80GB that lasts up to a month on a monthly contract for £20. They use the O2 network so works on an unlocked or O2 phones. Giffgaff allow tethering, assuming that your phone allows it. Alternatively a Huawei E5577 MiFi unit does the job for you pretty effectively.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

" I have called Plusnet customer service to ask for updates, only to be told that the upgrade is delayed because Plusnet customer service cannot contact BT Openreach customer service, because their call centre in India is closed due to a lockdown."

Really? I wouldn't believe that for one minute. Therefore, it would appear that OR are at a standstill because some offshore cs is closed.

It will be interesting to see what any PN reps have to say on that.

paliceorfh2
Fixes: 1

Fix

Update: Just spoke to an incredibly helpful Plusnet worker called Fay who fully investigated the matter and found that the information I had received was wrong - the automated system simply hadn't processed my order properly, and so there was no need for them to contact BT Openreach in India.

Have been assured that the Fibre will go live in the next 24-48 hours. Thank you Fay!

boydyaxley
Hooked

Had a similar problem. Moved house, and signed up with PlusNet, with a connection date ETA of 28/03. The date came and went, with no communication of a problem from PlusNet. When I called up to enquire was told because of the call centre closure in India the connection couldn't be set up at all until lockdown in India ended. This didn't match Open Reach's website, so I contacted another provider who set me up within the usual 2 week timeframe.

Not having a proper connection for over a month during lockdown was very frustrating. Luckily, we could hotspot off our phones, but this misinformation will be leaving vulnerable isolating with no connection at all during lockdown unnecessarily. So glad I didn't believe PlusNet customer services or I would have been without broadband for months!

If you are reading this because you are in the same position, you can cancel your contract if your connection hasn't been set up yet. Just go with someone else.