Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engineer appointment - is this a new system

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Engineer appointment - is this a new system

I was advised that the engineer (presumably) will phone the day before to confirm the appointment and approximately 1 hour before arriving to confirm the time
14 REPLIES 14
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Engineer appointment - is this a new system

Sounds like an improvement on my experience when we had our upgrade to fibre. We had a call but because he was driving up and down the road unable to find us. I think we were his first job of the day and we only had five minutes notice of arrival  Roll_eyes
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
GeordieMark
Grafter

Only once have I had a call ahead of an OR appointment, and that was the Quinn contractor who did my original install, none of the "proper" OR engineers called, they just turned up.
AndyH
Grafter

OR are trialling a new system called 'View My Engineer' which basically will tell CPs/end users when the engineer has been allocated on the day, where he is on the day, when he's travelling to their premises, when he's arrived and when he's completed the job.
I think the ringing before is standard now though for all engineers - or at least they are instructed to do it.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

The Kelly engineer that installed my fibre called about 30 minutes before arrival. Very useful.
Faizan786
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Ive had 2 bt visits, first guy phoned before hand and 2nd guy just knocked at 8am. 50/50
Oldjim
Resting Legend

and that is why I have booked an afternoon appointment
Guess who doesn't get up that early  Embarrassed
GeordieMark
Grafter

My install was afternoon but the guy called about 11 saying he was in the area and did I want him to pop round and install it sooner, if I was available. (Which I was and jumped at the chance :p)
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

The engineer to phone the customer before installing fibre is very bad idea because it will cause a problem for deaf peoples unable to hear the phone. What happen if deaf person unable to hear the phone mean the engineer will failed to turn up because the deaf person didn't answer the phone?
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

@goldenfibre - And what if the deaf person can't hear the doorbell when the engineer comes. There are a lot of ifs and buts in these scenarios.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Quote from: goldenfibre
The engineer to phone the customer before installing fibre is very bad idea because it will cause a problem for deaf peoples unable to hear the phone. What happen if deaf person unable to hear the phone mean the engineer will failed to turn up because the deaf person didn't answer the phone?
You have made an erroneous assumption
Where has anyone said that if the phone isn't answered the engineer won't turn up
The actual procedure is that he turns up and if he can't get access photographs the address to show he has been there which, along with the GPS tracking, provides the evidence to charge the customer (or if it is the wrong address allows the customer to refuse to pay)
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Quote from: jafreer
@goldenfibre - And what if the deaf person can't hear the doorbell when the engineer comes. There are a lot of ifs and buts in these scenarios.

Yes very true. Lucky for me as I am deaf and hard of hearing. As last year Openreach engineer ring my doorbell three times because some staff from Plusnet put a note on the engineer "the customer is deaf, please use front doorbell.". That's was when he installed my FTTC last February. He was nice gentlemen and to learn sign language.
Faizan786
Aspiring Pro

Do PN pass any info onto BT engineer? No,    I've had 2 turn up asking me what's wrong, very annoying
Oldjim
Resting Legend

They do
However very often the engineer doesn't get it or pick it up - I don't know why
Faizan786
Aspiring Pro

Engineer should read the notes, Ive worked in IT Support for 25 years + and have never gone to any customer without reading notes, Its just common sense. You can identify what your going into, the history of faults, and parts that may be worth taking with you.
PN need to step up on this.
I have engineer coming tomorrow morning and when he/she says " What's wrong?", I'm going to say please read your notes.