cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email tells me i've got faster upload but yet no change?

yada
Hooked

Email tells me i've got faster upload but yet no change?

Hi there,

I recently received the email saying that our upload rate has increased from 1.5mb to 9.5mb, but nothing has changed so i'm wondering if this is normal? It's actually dropped 100kbs, on average.

I looked at this: http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome , and it came back with the attached image. What does this tell me? I'm on fibre, is that the same as FTTP on Demand? That's a nice upload rate, how do i get that service?

They just put a brand new green box in (1 of those BT things for the phone lines and routing), which is literally 20m from where i'm currently sat, and it's done nothing (apart from lower my download rate from 24mb to 16mb, which is a full 1/3rd *boggle*). Isn't the purpose of this thing to give better internet?

Why don't they give upload frequency a wider band to work with? What are they doing?!

Sorry to be verbally disgruntled but this is so [-Censored-] and it drives me mad.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.

6 REPLIES 6
stonechat2017
Dabbler

Re: Email tells me i've got faster upload but yet no change?

Well I have just come on to Plusnet Fibre with the faster upload speed on startup

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having speed issues.

I've had a check of your connection and estimates and upon checking your estimates reached the same problem of no FTTC estimates being available. I have then raised a tags query with our suppliers who should update the DSL checker to show your lines estimates.

Checking your connection as a whole at the moment

Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 22.8 Mbps
Upstream Speed 1.2 Mbps

0.128M-40M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off

We can see your product has been updated to reflect on the new 10Mbps upload however given you were only receiving 1.2Mbps at very most you wouldn't see any change your side due to the length of the line and what it's capable of.
I do apologize you received the upload increase email as although true in changing your product it has misled some customers such as yourself to think that you'd see an improve3ment even though the upload wasn't reaching the previous maximum.

In regards to FTTP we do currently offer it as a trial however not all customers are accepted as distance to the cabinet can be a factor for setting up this product due to cost. By all means however though you can see if you'd be applicable for this trial by applying here:Trials

The 16Mbps download your seeing your side, is this over a wired or wireless connection? If wireless then could you please run a speed test on a wired connection and let us know how the speeds are looking as this could tell us if wireless interference is the issue and in which case we can advise on how to improve things.

Kind regards,

yada
Hooked

To be honest i was more... venting my frustration at BT for such a rubbish upload connection and not at plusnet. I understand my line is bad, but this squarely falls on BT's shoulders as it's their hardware. Them being the only supplier in the country makes it even worse.  There's just no avenue to vent, so i apologise to the board for subjecting them to it, but my goodness... 20 years ago it was rubbish. It's still rubbish today. Billions of pounds of public money and it's still rubbish!

As for your question, this is on a wired connection. 16mbps is basically an average, it's lower, it's higher. I ran a speed test the other day at about 11pm and it was just over 4mbps download and 160kbps upload. Running one at the time of this message is 17 down and 0.8 up. I swear they done something when working in that box that's adversely affected our connection. They were in there for weeks, and ever since then we haven't had the connection we had previous to them being in there.

All is well! But BT you suck!   

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

@yada

From that dslchecker output you attached my guess is that you are a long way from your previous cabinet, hence your current fibre service which comes from there is poor. It looks like your phone has been switched onto the new cabinet with fibre to follow. Unfortunately the extra wiring for that will temporarily make your current fibre worse. Once switched to the new cabinet fibre should be good.

No timescale is given for the fibre switch but since VDSL Multicast availability is estimated to be 30-Jan-18 I'd guess at January 2018.

David
Manny7860
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Fttp on demand isn't available through trial.
Excellent!
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@BD wrote:

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having speed issues.

In regards to FTTP we do currently offer it as a trial however not all customers are accepted as distance to the cabinet can be a factor for setting up this product due to cost. By all means however though you can see if you'd be applicable for this trial by applying here:Trials

Checking the report in the OP only FTTP on demand is currently available?  Plusnet do not offer to supply this product, targetted primarily at the commercial market, based on high instalation and running costs. See @spraxyt response for some optimism for improvement once work to deliver VDSL Multicast is completed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.