cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email saying my 'min speed' is lower than before after engineer visit could not restore my 10Mb loss

snadge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

Email saying my 'min speed' is lower than before after engineer visit could not restore my 10Mb loss

When I first upgraded to 80Mb at Xmas I was told I would get between 70-80Mb with a minimum of 65Mb, thus 65 was my "roll-back" speed (if I didn't get 65Mb then I could go back to 40Mb), I was getting 79Mb with error protection OFF (Fastpath) OR 74Mb with error protection ON - fast-forward 8 months and on 28th July my internet went down at dead on Midnight and came back on on the hour at 4am with a 10Mb drop in speed (now 64Mb), a raise in Line Attenuation (signalling decreased line quality) and raise in Power Levels (signalling the DSLAM having to use more power to get me a speed 10Mb slower) and no Dial-Tone..  this all indicated an engineer doing some work in the cab and doing something with my pair....so Plusnet sent out an engineer

I had the engineer visit 10 days ago who could not repair the issue with my 10Mb speed loss, he simply repaired the no-dial tone issue, reset DLM & turned off error protection to boost it from 64Mb to 69Mb, I said in my previous post about the issue that I am happy enough at 69 but if it drops below the 65 then I am allowed to go back to 40Mb should I wish to do so...as my MGALS was 65Mb everyone was happy & in agreement and that was that,

now, fast forward 10 days and I get an email off Plusnet saying "we see we have fixed your speed issue (not true) and it's above your minimum guaranteed speed of 61Mb..." <- now it seems someone at Plusnet has decided to revise my minimum fallback speed based on new results

I am not at all happy about this, my min fallback speed was 65Mb not 61Mb, its almost as if someone at Plusnet has seen that I said I would go back to 40Mb if it drops below 65Mb and decided to revise it to try and prevent me from doing so.

The engineer said my telephone line now appears to be on Aluminium when it's very likely before it wasn't (it explains the speed loss and stats)... the problem was not fixed, which I accepted as I could not be arsed with having to convince BT engineers someone has done something with my line (when its blatantly obvious someone has) and I feel like now with this drop in MGALS (Minimum Guaranteed Access Line Speed) I am being fobbed a bit now - I accepted the loss in speed but I do not agree with changing the goalposts on the MGALS, im pretty certain thats against regs.

Please can someone sort this MGALS issue out - it was 65Mb and is 65Mb - I refuse to accept that every-time my line loses XMb of speed that Plusnet are going to lower my MGALS

6 REPLIES 6
snadge
Aspiring Pro

Re: Email saying my 'min speed' is lower than before after engineer visit could not restore my 10Mb

......just to add to my post above....

.....the BT engineer said "we dont guarantee speed - only stability" as soon as he arrived, this was him basically telling me that its very likely that he wont get my speed back...which he didnt...a 10Mb loss, now if your wondering how is it 10Mb when it was 74Mb and now 69Mb is because of error protection, when the line went down Error protection was ON giving me 74Mb, error protection OFF (fastpath) was 79Mb - hence now error protection is disabled giving me 69Mb, but errors are on the verge of kicking error protection ON soon and it will drop back to 63Mb-64Mb, I think Plusnet are aware of this and their reason for changing MGALS to 61Mb to prevent me jumping back to 40Mb ....not on!

dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Email saying my 'min speed' is lower than before after engineer visit could not restore my 10Mb

@snadge 

If you look here

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.welcome

You can see the hand back speeds for the line.

I do this on a regular basis as mysteriously the hand back speed changes, now if ISP's are using a lower value than quoted when you contracted with them, they need to put pressure on OpenReach, who have a monopoly on the lines/dslam equipment

to improve the situation.

What is coming apparent is due to more users coming onto existing multi core cables, more cross-talk is occuring.

Last year, no cross-talk on my line, now there is.

I see this as a worsening situation, only to be resolved by Boris's 'fibre to the country  real soon now' pledge Sad or

rapid rollout of 5G

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi there @snadge

I'm glad to hear your connection speed issue has been resolved. I've just ran a quick test and I can confirm you're currently in sync at 69.8Mbps which is in line with your estimates of 65-80Mbps.

In terms of your MGALS, these are confirmed at the start of your agreement with us. Estimates can change from time to time. However, should our supplier change any estimates or MGALS figures, those quoted in your initial agreement are what your contract is bound to.

Having said that, I'm just looking into what you were quoted as your MGALs for your Fibre Extra service and I can confirm the MGALs set at that time were 50Mbps.

This is confirmed in the following service notice

I'm afraid I'm not seeing any record of your estimates being 70-80 nor your MGALS being 60+.

Can you confirm how you were advised of these estimates. As I mentioned above, the confirmation service notice provides different information and we may need to listen to the sales call and investigate this further.

snadge
Aspiring Pro

I cant access that link as your website is slow and has been unaccessible for days

my connection speed issue has NOT been resolved, why do you keep saying that>?  read my post again... the engineer could not restore my speed and only fixed the no dial tone issue as i said in my original post!

I can't remember if it was the sales call or in letter or what but I'm pretty sure i was told 65Mb - and also on BT's checker as provided above it now says 59Mb...not 50Mb,  50Mb is extremely poor and I would not have agreed to that, that would allow you and openreach to knock my speed all the way down to 51Mb and there would be nothing I could do about it and have to continue to pay...

now, the sync speed has been dropping to 64Mb and I can get 59Mb on the plusnet hub, whenever theres a storm or bad weather now it drops as error protection gets turned back on (its off at the moment so is at 69Mb) ...this never used to happen until the line went down on the 28th July, it used to be stable no matter the weather...when the engineer came he confirmed that my line is now on Aluminium too, it seems to me that some engineer has moved my signal onto a different pair at that time causing the DSLAM to use more power to get me  a speed 10Mb slower

evidence:

1. line goes down exactly midnight and comes back on at exactly 4am - evidence of work ongoing....

2. Speed is 10Mb slower

3. Power levels increased from 3.3 to 4.6

4. Line attenuation increased slightly which indicates the line is now longer or of worse quality

all that above started at 4am when your system reported that it went down at midnight and came back on at 4am...check it...28th July!!! I was getting 79Mb with error protection OFF and 74Mb with it ON...now its 10Mb less -

im constantly repeating myself here and getting nowhere!!

Plusnet has gown down hill in many regards,,,, website is slow and cant access it... billing issues... speed loss... cant fix faults!!!

now that you say my handback speed is 50Mb when i was told 65Mb (and even BT checker says 59Mb)  I would like an engineer out to resolve this please... read my first post again and check my other post about it.. I was happy enough to stick with the 10Mb loss in the knowledge that I could go back to 40Mb if it got worse,,, now your saying I cant and my speed has been fixed???????  no it hasnt...read the post again... and I cant go back if it gets marginally worse..

please send an engineer out to restore my connection back to 74-79Mb Im not happy with 64-69Mb now that you say your reducing my handbackspeed to 50Mb

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @snadge,

Really sorry to hear you feel this way, your cirucuit is currently in sync at 69.2mbps download which is within estimates for your line as per the service notice mentioned above (you should be able to view it now as I have changed some settings this side).

With your line been within estimates from our side and above minimum guaranteed speeds we'd need you to perform a wired Ethernet test while connected to your test socket if you feel you are not reaching the estimated speeds. Otherwise, if there is no issue your side there's very little we can do in terms of changing your speeds.

With that in mind we are more than happy to troubleshoot the line should you notice any further issues with the speed e.g. due to bad weather as you mention.

Thanks.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Just let them downgrade to 40/10. I think it's fairly obvious that they're never going to be happy otherwise.