Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email BTOR FTTP Now Available

FIXED
mharvo
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Email BTOR FTTP Now Available

Hi, received email now stating FTTP available, when using the checker, it says WBC FTTP available on left hand side, at the right hand side states "1st Stage" can someone explain is there work still needed by OR to get active.  Also is Plusnet likely to offer FTTP in the future, or do i migrate to BT or EE for 500 service if and pay cancellation charges our Plusnet service fibre unlimited was renewed last summer, up to November 2022.. how much charges will be to leave, can we have two services at same address sorry for all the questions thanks for any answers Happy New Year to All

15 REPLIES 15
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Email BTOR FTTP Now Available

@mharvo I think the '1st stage' you refer to is actually '1 stage' which means, and I quote from an ISP Review response: 1 stage install: this is when the fibre cable termination is quite close to your premises. The average connection times are between 9 and 18 working days (subject to engineer availability). You'll need to be at the premises to get this connected, as the engineer will need to drill through your wall to install an ONT.

If you make the move to BT/EE via Customer Options, termination charges will be waived.

John
mharvo
Rising Star

Fix

Jab1 thanks for the response to 1 Stage, there where BTOR vans, engineers laying purple cable along the cul de sac road next to manhole covers on pavement 100m apart  labelled BT in September, approx 20 meters from house where our BT line comes in a grey 6 - 10 inch sheath on the lower wall, CH65 9JU.  Can you have this ONT fixed on any wall on the outside of the house.

If Plusnet are to do FTTP will likely stay with them and wait, if not i will migrate.

Many thanks 

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@mharvo 

The actual install method may have changed recently (past couple of years) so I may be out of touch with the checker results.

Originally, the install was a 2 stage process. OR would turn up and run a cable from the nearest distribution point to your property and leave the end in a box attached to the outside wall. Then a second team would come along and bring the fibre inside.

Then it moved to a one stage install where a Connectorised Block Terminal (CBT) was placed at the Distribution Point (either in an underground chamber or on a telegraph pole). On the day of install they would simply run a cable from the CBT, bring it into you house and connect it to the Optical Network Terminal (ONT).

If you look at the checker results again it'll have a narrative further down about FTTP which tells if any problems are expected on install.

The last unofficial word on PlusNet FTTP was by the end of January, You'll not hear anything until they're ready to go public.

If you move to BT or EE FTTP you can usually get any early termination fees waived by PlusNet.

Brian

mharvo
Rising Star

Jab1 did not see the last sentence, but that is welcoming info on cancellation charges to move to BT or EE again many thanks

for your information.

jab1
Legend

@mharvo the ONT is fitted INSIDE your property, entering on the wall where the sheath is situated, and usually fitted on that internal wall, providing there is a suitable power-point within a short distance,

John
bmc
Hero

@mharvo 

Don't know what the box on the outside wall is called but the ONT is installed inside. It needs to be near a power source.

You have a bit of leeway on where the ONT goes - especially if you get a good engineer who'll work with you on the location.

Brian

mharvo
Rising Star

BMC thanks for information yes info on the bottom of page states ONT required, which now makes sense

"Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG premises served by 2.5 Inch plastic duct 56.

FTTP is available and a new ONT may be ordered."

Hopefully if that is the case for Plusnet to announce the service, i will wait, have had great service from them over last 20 years.

Many thank for your relpy all greatly appreciated.

bmc
Hero

@mharvo 

If you have an underground feed then that is the starting point for the incoming cable to your house. On my install they drilled through the wall but later installs for neighbours came in through the original copper line entry. Although I wouldn't do it now I had OR fun the fibre round the front room so the ONT was on a back wall. I didn't realise they stapled the fibre to the skirting board.

If the checker results say "provan clear" then your house duct has been checker and a blue draw rope probably left in place. - EDIT Ok your new post has just shown up - not certain what the narrative means in terms of possible problems.

The ONT to be installed is shown in the following two news articles. The router is connected vai an ethernet cable which gives you a better choice of where to place it.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/09/a-look-at-openreachs-compact-fttp-broadband-ont-and-mi...

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/01/a-look-at-openreachs-future-4-port-ont-for-fttp-broadb...

Brian

mharvo
Rising Star

BMC again great clarity on information for the positioning of ONT as my BT input cable come into the house through the

wall and white bt cable phone line along the internal wall  to the router aprox 10m in large lounge with two power points

so maybe take the fibre/digital cable along the outside fromBT sheath to next to rear wall and drill into the internal wall

next to the power points, if so that is much better.

mharvo
Rising Star

BMC all great valid points, only 10 houses in the cul de sac, the checker does not state "Proven Clear" anywhere on the page.

thanks for all the information today, will now wait .... if Plusnet is to offer FTTP, at the same price of BT for 500 service and voice

All have a great day Happy New Year

jab1
Legend

@mharvo wrote:

BMC again great clarity on information for the positioning of ONT as my BT input cable come into the house through the

wall and white bt cable phone line along the internal wall  to the router aprox 10m in large lounge with two power points

so maybe take the fibre/digital cable along the outside fromBT sheath to next to rear wall and drill into the internal wall

next to the power points, if so that is much better.

@mharvo I don't think the highlighted is possible - the fibre cable has to enter the premises via the wall it is on, but as I understand it, and I may be wrong, it is possible for the installing engineer to run cable for quite some distance inside to your hub.

John
bmc
Hero

@mharvo 

Having thought about it I'd guess the narrative simply means that the local install team didn't check the house ducts and the note tells the house installer what duct to expect.

I'd agree with @jab1 that OR wouldn't run the cable round the outside of the house - they might go under a window to bring it in on the other side but without going round a corner.

The actual install will depend on the engineer on the day. Generally they tend to work with you if it's possible. If your master socket is beside the copper line entry point I would suggest putting the ONT there (if power's available). You can then run ethernet cable to where ever you want the router.

Shown below is my fibre entry point and a later one where it comes through the master socket. Note the ONT shown is an earlier model (when they came with battery back-ups).

FC1.jpgFC2.jpg

Brian

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

fwiw, I don't know if anyone else has posted on the forum, but I read ISPreview reported on 15th January

Internet provider Plusnet has this week confirmed to ISPreview.co.uk that they will finally launch a new range of packages, which will be based off Openreach’s Fibre-to-the-Premises (FTTP) powered broadband technology, at some point “later this year.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2022/01/broadband-isp-plusnet-uk-confirm-fttp-to-launch-later-... 

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Aa65
Grafter

Plusnet contacted me saying they now provide FTTP. No info about pricing