Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electric works

Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

Electric works

I think I'm going to have to have some electrical work done where it's possible that the mains will need to be switched 3-4 times during the day. Would it be wiser to disconnect the modem and router and just leave them off for the duration?
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Electric works

That would depend on the length of the outage and more importantly if you know when the power is going off. If the electrician is simply going to walk over to your distribution board and turn it off when he needs to then disconnect your router by logging out then turn it off for the day. As you are aware switching your router on and off can have adverse effects on your line speed, so I would err on the side caution and turn it off for the duration of the works. From what I understand you really need to manage your router's going off by logging out then powering down for at least a minimum of 30 minutes so the system doesn't detect what it thinks is an error.

Starmans
Grafter

Yeah I must agree with Mook if it is planned interruption works that will lead to isolation a number of times during the day I would also suggest powering down before isolation and then leaving it until the works are complete - leaving a minimum of 30mins between power off this will allow the DLM system to see its not a line based issue.
NedLudd
Grafter

This kind of thing has never had any effect on my line speed. I've had electrical work done many times that entails multiple power on and power off events without disconnecting the line.
My line speed has remained a rock solid 75 megs.
Geoff,
York.
Starmans
Grafter

Don't get me wrong Ned, I believe DLM allows for up to 10 re-syncs a day before taking any action but its all about airing on the side of caution. Its all down to individual lines and how often they re-sync in a normal day.
Mayfly
All Star

Thanks for the replies. I would rather err on the side of caution and do without the internet for the day,
I know how to power down the router but what about the modem?
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know what kit you have but if my assumption is correct that you log into your router to disconnect then once you have done this you can turn the power off on modem and all will be well. If for some reason you login to your modem to disconnect then do that first.
If it's worth anything I have a rule that determines this order for me, and it starts at the BT Socket, so whatever is connected to that gets turned on first / off last, then what is connected to this gets turned on second / off second last, etc. That way everything comes on and goes off in what in my head is the correct order.
Mayfly
All Star

Thanks Mook