cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effects of 'telecom pillar'?

grahamt
Rising Star

Effects of 'telecom pillar'?

I've recently learned that my line goes from the telegraph pole to a 'telecom pillar' (I believe the proper term for it is 'secondary cross-connection point') before going on to the cabinet (presumably after being aggregated with othr lines). The pillar is about 90 metres away, the cabinet about 450 metres.
What is the likely effect of this in terms of FTTC speed? (When I was on the 80/20 trial I was getting around 55mb/s. I now take the 40/20 service, which gives me a currently very solid 37/15 in speed tests.)
Will the pillar be a problem if and when Openreach gets round to installing fibre to the pole and G.FAST? (I realise that this isn't imminent with or without the pillar.)
4 REPLIES 4
mwarby
Grafter

Re: Effects of 'telecom pillar'?

I doubt it'll have any significant effect, it is just another junction box. If/when g.fast or similar comes along it may be to your benefit, as the pole will serve more lines and so give bt more bang for buck, so may be upgraded earlier
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

I don't think it'll have too much effect to be honest. This is all very premature though if you don't mind me saying  Grin
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
grahamt
Rising Star

Thanks for those responses. I was just wondering whether the pillar could be adapted to receive and deliver fibre or whether it would have to be removed altogether from the cabinet-to-pole link. I'm guessing the latter..
I've attached a picture in case anyone's interested.
mwarby
Grafter

As i understand it your on FTTC already ?
The G.Fast kit is designed to be pole mounted, as i understand it. The important thing to remember though is that tjhis is still all under development, until bt start to depoly we won't know kit used. I'm sure if bt do deploy it'll be based more on anticipated takeup and hence profit , if the area is viable they'll make the changes needed, if it's not viable even with perfect junction box layout they won't(until the government steps in, or circumstances change to make it viable