Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edimax N300 WiFi/Wireless Broadband Router BR-6428nSV2

SE
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Edimax N300 WiFi/Wireless Broadband Router BR-6428nSV2

Hi all
Will the Edimax N300 WiFi/Wireless Broadband Router BR-6428nSV2 work with plusnet fibre if I use the pn supplied modem?
Also is the pn interface, the username and so on stored in the modem or router?
can we use almost any cable router
4 REPLIES 4
pwatson
Rising Star

Re: Edimax N300 WiFi/Wireless Broadband Router BR-6428nSV2

The authentication is performed by the router, not the OR modem.  Any router that has ethernet WAN and supports PPPoE should work fine.
The Edimax looks to be fine  Smiley
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Will the Edimax N300 WiFi/Wireless Broadband Router BR-6428nSV2 work with plusnet fibre if I use the pn supplied modem?
Just looked at the manual, it should work just fine. You will need to set the WAN connection type to PPPoE and enter your Plusnet username & password.
Also is the pn interface, the username and so on stored in the modem or router?
They are stored in the router(see above)
can we use almost any cable router
Yup, as long as it supports PPPoE on the WAN port(just about all of them do!)
Edit: beat me to it there pwatson Smiley

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SE
Rising Star

Hi thanks for the replies guys
That's good news then  Wink
The price is good at about £17 and its a access point and a wifi repeater too, so if it didn't work id use it as a AP from the pn router to help with the bad wifi

if I used it as a router could I run a 5 meter cat5e or cat6 cable from the pn modem to it instead of the small supplied lead allowing me to move the router and so the wifi upstairs but keep the pn modem at the phone socket
its ether that or keep the pn stuff and get a TP-LINK 300MBPS Wall Plug Range Extender for a little more.
though it would be nice to have more control over setting like ports and DNS suppliers
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Yes, 5m of cat5e will be fine. You don't need cat6 spec, Max speed from the modem will be 80Mbps.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.