cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Early connection

ellen04

Early connection

We signed up with Plusnet on the 5th of December and were told we would be connected within 10 days. At present, almost 30 days later, we are still waiting to be connected, though we do now have our router. On the off chance I connected it and there is a static orange light and a static red b. Presumably our account still isn't set up yet. Is there any way of expediting this process? Our previous broadband supplier have cut us off due to the switch so I am currently writing using my phone as a wifi hotspot. I wouldn't mind so much but we paid several weeks ago for a service we still can't use. 

Edit: in case it's relevant we do currently have a dial tone, so I'm assuming it's just that a bit more fiddling needs doing at PN's end

8 REPLIES 8
MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Early connection

Hi, 

welcome to the forum.

could of quick checks.

in the router does it show the connection is in sync too? (192.168.1.254) details on the back of the routet and i think its the connection tab.

if it is in sync then first try changing the username and password to your signup details again, it may be a problem with tr69 configuring your details. 

If that doesnt work could try http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btwspeedtest.htm and logon to btw, that would prove the connection out too.

after that probably need somone from plusnet tomorrow to look at your account. 

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, mind dropping me a PM with your username so I can chase this up for you?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
ellen04

Thanks Adam. Have now messaged you. Please let me know how you get on, would be great to get this sorted tonight!

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there and sorry I haven't been able to get back to you yet.

I can see the order completed yesterday and your account has since activated.

I trust everything is working OK?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
ellen04

Thanks for getting back to me Adam. Broadband now up and running but I'm getting a HTTP ERROR 403 message on some websites (particularly those which alter the link - for example bit.ly pages or when I type in news.bbc.co.uk into my browser). I assume it sees these as a potential security threat but I'd prefer it if I could turn this functionality off. Any way you can help?

MrSilver
Pro

Hi Ellen,

Good your connection is up!

error 403 isn't typically something that is caused / managed by Plusnet. A 403 error is usually the remote server that is telling you that you aren't allowed to access that page, but doubt bbc news is doing that so something else must be getting in the way.

Do you get it on different browsers? (internet explorer, chrome, firefox, opera? not sure what you have on your PC?)

Do you have a tablet or phone that you can try the same pages from? that might help narrow down a connection vs pc issue.

What is the address in the browser at the time the 403 error comes up too?

Thanks

ellen04

It doesn't seem to be happening right now but, to answer your question:

It was happening across multiple devices connected to Plusnet

It *wasn't* happening on those same devices when they were connected to, for example, my 4G connection

The specific BBC url that wasn't working was news.bbc.co.uk (it worked for accessing http://www.bbc.co.uk/news directly). It also wasn't working for some shortened links, specifically those from bit.ly, according to my partner.

403 Error is purportedly a server issue but it certainly seems to be something to do with Plusnet. Curious even if the problem doesn't resurface, so would like to hear your thoughts!

MrSilver
Pro

Glad its not happening at the moment, only things I can think of without knowing plusnets infrastructure would be:

You were still in some king of restricted zone while the router was being configured, and plusnet block access to sites until you are properly authenticated. e.g. you get your router and it logs on with a generic account until its been configured with your details, would have thought all pages would error though not just some.

Second option would need Plusnet to be inspecting all traffic and that process was going wrong and returning forbidden, but if that was the case why only impacting you.

Third option could be you have some malware on the PC that is intercepting URLs you type and go to and the server in the middle doing the intercept / redirect has an error, again unlikely but make sure your AV software is up to date just in case.

One other option we have seen on things that redirect is ad-blockers, they often stop links form working when the redirect goes through an ad tracker on the way to the full site. Unlikely again though if it was on multiple devices that worked on 4g.