Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EO Lines

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

EO Lines

I had a sad conversation with a good friend of mine who recently moved to our side of Sheffield from a Virgin cable area.
He has Plusnet ADSL but would love fibre.
Unfortunately he is only about a 1/4 mile from his exchange and appears to be in an Exchange Only line area.
It's the same exchange as I am on but we have cabinets.
I know there are plans to upgrade EO lines but is this on a back burner for Openreach nationwide?
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
3 REPLIES 3
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: EO Lines

Hi Strat,
I've not heard of any plans at all to provide fibre of any kind for EO lines.
I'll grab a chat with our products guys though to see if they know anything I don't and will get back to you if they do.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

BT has installed some cabinets for EO lines but it's hit and miss. It only helps if the majority of properties being served are close to the exchange as is the case if it's a cluster of houses 'surrounding' the exchange. All the EO lines are relocated through a new cabinet just outside the exchange and all is good.
Unfortunately in a lot of cases the properties being served are nowhere near the exchange (or only some of them). Typically they are farms or other isolated properties. In those cases the only place you could site the cabinet is the exchange but likely the properties would all be too far away to get a service. Rumour is that BT have considered FTTP for some EO cases but details are patchy.
It basically comes down to the questions: Where do most of the EO lines come together? If we stick a cabinet at that point will enough of the lines then support a good enough service to make it worthwhile building the cab.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

UPDATE: I've just learned that if an area is covered by BDUK then they are starting to install cabs right outside the exchange, EO lines are then being moved on to that as FTTC is ordered.
In some areas FTTP is being set up instead (this is mostly to cater for businesses) or some such as Chesterfield for example have both.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team