Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: ECI Cabinets

@bobpullen thanks for the update...

Ensor
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Hi Bob, could you add me to that list too please?

I'm on an ECI cab and my router supports ReTx / G.INP. My speeds have gotten so bad lately that if something doesn't change soon I'll likely be switching to an ISP that provides FTTP when my contract is up in a few months.

navzptc
Dabbler

Thanks for the update Bob 👍🏻

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Fix

@Ensor wrote:

Hi Bob, could you add me to that list too please?

Too late to the party I'm afraid Sad

I'll keep you in mind for any further activity though.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@bobpullen 

Only mentioned this is passing as I thought it might be of interest to some!!!

If there is to be a "party" might I suggest a new Forum under the Trials heading (with a "sticky" saying not currently open to new participants).

@Ensor 

If FTTP is available at your address it'll solve any speed and reliability problems you currently have. Unfortunately it would mean leaving PlusNet as they don't currently offer a service. Zen Internet and BT are the current main players in FTTP though TalkTalk and Sky are rumoured to be launching products soon.

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

@bobpullen What don't get me at all - I don't understand why Plusnet not offer G.fast or FTTP to customers yet? Very odd

Ensor
Dabbler

@bmc

FTTP has been available at my address for around 13 months now.

I don't want to leave PlusNet, but neither am I going to put up with my speeds over the years having dropped from a solid 75Mbps to the ~47Mbps I'm getting now. You'd think that as PlusNet are owned by BT they'd be able to offer FTTP, but BT seem to be keeping that service to themselves as a "premium" product. ☹️

I've been talking with Zen's sales dept. over the past few days about switching to their FTTP service when my current contract ends in July.

Ensor
Dabbler

@bobpullen 

That's disappointing. I came across this thread on Saturday, but there was no indication that there was a time limit on applications to join the trial.

Thanks anyway.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Ensor 

There was no appeal for "trial" participants as until Bob's post (#38) there was no indication that PlusNet would be taking part in the OR Trial other that Bob thinking it was "likely" (see his other posts #3, #8 & #30).

As for PlusNet FTTP products there are those who'll argue that PlusNet won't offer it in the near future as it might take customers away from the premium product of their owner - BT.

Much more likely is the time and (especially) cost or re-writing back office systems to cope with FTTP and then training staff up in their use. Until recently FTTP was a fairly "niche" product which didn't have the numbers to make such investment worthwhile.

Brian

chrislacey
Grafter

The original article on ispreview.co.uk says the trial is aimed at around 100000 lines. I wonder how Openreach will get to that number if ISP's are suggesting 10-30 lines each like us in this forum. maybe they will select from random users as well for ISP's

Id like to know what Openreach are changing compared to the previous trial around 2yrs ago, after reading around it seems like it was mostly successful apart from some people using older equipment or modem firmware at home. instead of expecting them to upgrade they seemed to accept it wouldn't work for the rest of us poor ECI cab customers.

Hope it works this time, i have lost around 4mb in the last 2 weeks to interleaving and DLM again.

Bp1000
Grafter

@Ensor

I would be very surprised if Plusnet didn’t offer FTTP within the next 12 months.

Pricing is starting to stabilise; the product is being extended from 300Mbps to 500Mbps-1Gbps. I’m sure the lower tiers will get offloaded to the cut price Plusnet brand. Plus they will want to stimulate take up to cover the huge investment.

Anyhow, the speed loss is classic cross talk. This trial will most likely give you 10-15Mbps back.

But regardless I honestly don’t think you’d notice that much difference in a blind test. 50Mbps to 300Mbps or even 150 you would.